Pimoroni Touch – HyperPixel 4.0 - Hi-Res Display for Raspberry Pi CE05548 1 $93.95

I have the following problem with the set up RPi 4 to rectangular Primoroni4 - Touch version - following Primoroni installing program

curl -sSL https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel4 | bash

My RPi4 has Raspbian ‘buster’ installed and this does not update or upgrade

The installing software runs OK up to

Updating apt indexes

Installing script then shows

Raspbian buster In Release shows Suite changed from ‘stable’ to ‘old stable’

Debian buster in Release shows Suite changed from ‘testing’ to ‘old stable’

Installing script then shows Apt failed to update

Can anyone advise/help? Similar topics listed do not match my problem - perhaps related to ‘buster’ not wanting to update?

Regards

Jim Percy

Sorry to have troubled you all

TODAY the RPi decided it would Update/Upgrade and many minutes later all is well
after upgrading curl installer worked perfectly with no problem at all Display is great Just had to rotate it

Thanks for the support though

Jim

5 Likes

Hi Jim,

Excellent, glad to hear that it is now working normally. By the way, there’s actually a new release of Raspberry Pi OS that came out just recently. It’s still got some teething issues as many distros often do, but certainly worth looking to upgrade in future to ensure that all of your applications and drivers are the newest available at least:

4 Likes

Hi Bryce
Cuppla problems here,
First Your reply appears to be re an older query of mine re my pimonori display which I got working some time ago
Second My current problem is with my more recently purchased 1602 lcd with i2c trying to run it from a pizero
My problems are detailed in my email of yesterday to Graham - I can repeat that email to you if required
So my current query should not be in the Pimonori box or even the Waveshare box but more likely an i2c ?
Thanks for any assistance or advise youcan offer
Jom Percy

1 Like

Hi Jim,

Sorry, I’m quite confused, the first post in this thread seems to refer to this display which you ended in saying that you managed to get running by updating curl a couple hours ago? Which 1602 display are you referring to?:

This is a public forum where staff members from Core Electronics are often live and help out with customers projects and issues when we can (myself included) but being public and separated from our email discussions, people reading here won’t have the context of any emails that you’ve sent through.

If you can please confirm the information about your issue that you sent in the email here that’d be excellent, we’ll see what we can do to help from here :smile:

1 Like

Bryce

This is a new query see my email to Graham

It was put in the Piminori bag by your filter ‘Akismet’

This new query (post) needs to be moved to a new location

Can you not help with this?

The Display is from your catalogue

LCD1602 RGB Module, 16x2 Characters LCD, RGB Backlight, 3.3V/5V, I2C Bus

SKU: CE07881

Trying to get it to work with a Pi Zero W via the i2c bus

So the post should most likely appear as a post in the i2c area?

And can you help me with the rest of it?

I suppose I have to wait till someone on the Forum picks up my problem?

I should probably try to contact Martin Ku, whose tutorial I followed, Can I find if he is on this Forum?

Thanks for any help

Jim Percy

3 Likes

Hi Jim,

Just removing the timestamps for security reasons. Yes, if you connect 5V and GND to pins 1 and 6 on the Raspberry Pi, and then SDA and SCL to 3 and 5 respectively you can then follow the guide that I’ve linked below (you’ll need to hit the tab specific to Raspberry Pi) in order to get started with using it with your Pi. If you have any further questions please let us know:

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/LCD1602_RGB_Module

2 Likes

Hi Bryce
Thanks for all that - the Choose_ Color.py and Discoloration.py files run (using Thorny) and operate the Display wonderfully.
However, the RGB1602.py file although it appears to run, does nothing to the Display - Can you advise here?
Also this item is still appearing under Pimoroni Touch (as you can see above) whereas it needs a new entry i2c problems or i2c to RGB1602 problems - I see that this has come up before and there has been discussion on addressing so, maybe this is an answer to my two addresses query - still looking at this although I think I need to get an answer as to why **RGB1602.py ** is not operating the display Do you agree?
Again_ Thanks for any help
Jim Percy

3 Likes

Hi Jim,

Can you please copy the version of the RGB1602 file that you’re using into the forum here between some ``` characters above and below? Just curious to see what libraries it’s using and what the configuration is set to for the board. By the way, if anyone else has ideas about what could be causing the issue here feel free to jump in :smile:

2 Likes

Hi James,

Where did you get that file? The only reference I can see to RGB1602.py on the Waveshare site is for the example code for the Pi Pico. Some Python libraries can be made to run on both the Pi Pico and the Pi computers, but not all of them are cross-compatible.

2 Likes

Hi Trent

My problem with RGB1602.py is resolved – RGB1602.py is a library file which does not (on its own) activate the display

However these RGB 1602 Display problems are still appearing as a Priminori Topic, whichis not the place for them – should be I2C topic

Thanks for looking into this problem though – Bryce has also sent an email I will reply to him separately

Regards

Jim Percy

4 Likes

Hi Bryce

My problem with RGB1602.py is resolved – RGB1602.py is a library file which does not (on its own) activate the display

However these RGB 1602 Display problems are still appearing as a Priminori Topic, which is not the place for them – should be I2C topic

Thanks for looking into this problem though – Trent also sent an email on this subject and I have replied to him seperately

Regards

Jim Percy

3 Likes

Hi Bryce

Just found this entry on the Core Forum

Hi Trent

2 Likes