Identifying this male female connector

Its attached to a power pack used to charge a battery. I am looking for these exact parts but fail to find so far. Any help ID’ing is appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Andrew
Looks like a Canon XL audio connector but the little tag on the flat bit is confusing which makes it NOT an XL type. If you search “XL connector” you will get what I mean and just might strike it lucky.
Is one of the male pins longer than the other 2? If so that will be the connection for the cable screen if it has one.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

Looks like a tricky one. From what I can find this does look very similar to an XL cable but the cut-out makes that less likely. Another possibility I found was something called an ‘XConnect’ connector.

It seems like this connector is used mainly for lighting applications but its probably a closer guess as its designed for power not audio. Do you have any identifying marks on the power pack that could give us more of an idea? maybe some load specs so we know what the cable is designed to handle?

Thanks!
Sam

Hi Samuel
I have never heard of a “XConnect” connector until just now. There again I have not kept up with connector trends over the last years since retirement. The ones in your pic seem to have a threaded retaining system which is not apparent in Andrews pic but that does not surprise me when I think of the way some manufacturers seem to introduce a product and suddenly it is some sort of “Standard”

There was a connector that had an XL shell and retaining clip system but had a different internal body. This was specifically a 220/240VAC power connector for shielded cable and made by Canon as was the XL. Used extensively by Marconi many years ago particularly on their test equipment.
Cheers Bob

Hi Sam and Robert
After days of hard research I finally landed upon the actual maker of this DC power connector.
Have a look:

The world of connectors is all over the map and yes there are some standards but not everywhere!
Sam, do you have a link to the picture you last included?
Thanks for your replies all…
Andrew

Hi Andrew

It looks like the place Sam got the picture from was this listing.

That’s a good find with that connector though. There’s a lot of 3 pin connectors similar to that out there so they can be hard to identify sometimes.

Hi Andrew

These days I think this is the only way to get the information you need. There is a vast array of different connectors and unless you have a need to know a lot about this the cost of printed information is pretty prohibitive

When I was working full time the company I was contracted to had a publication I think called “Connector Cyclopedia” which was 3 volumes each about 50mm plus thick. Lots of connectors But our immediate interest was military grade multipoint circular and sub"D" types, both standard and high density. Some had an eye watering price tag.

I just looked but could not find that publication but found another which has several volumes.
Below is a screen grab of the costs involved to purchase this info.

This is in $US plus shipping.
The one advantage with this one is it is separated into quite a number of groups so if your interest was fairly narrow there is no reason to purchase all volumes. Note the bit about more than 65000 different connectors listed. Pretty comprehensive.
Good luck with your fishing.
Cheers Bob