Linear actuator coupled with thermostat to open and shut according to temperature

G’day everyone I found the setup I’m after in the diagram for a greenhouse I need the actuator and thermostat couple together (see top of diagram) to open and shut according to tempreature.

We are working on a project for a customer any help would be greatly appreciated do you guys have these item in-stock if so how much

4 Likes

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
We have linear actuators and thermocouples, so that’s no problem, but I’d like to get a bit of context for the system as a whole before I make any hardware suggestions.
Can you tell me what the green PCBs in your diagram are doing? It appears to be a controller that’s monitoring temperature and controls a 12VDC device in response.
You might be able to simplify your design quite a bit by getting one device that can control both outputs and also drive your control panel, which would also mean one fewer power supply.
Were you looking to reuse hardware you already had?

1 Like

Gday Trent,

Many thanks for coming back to me.

We have linear actuators and thermocouples, so that’s no problem, but I’d like to get a bit of context for the system as a whole before I make any hardware suggestions.
Can you tell me what the green PCBs in your diagram are doing? It appears to be a controller that monitors temperature and controls a 12VDC device in response.

Mate this is purely a jpeg i found online. Don’t have any of these parts but wanted to demonstrate what I am looking for/aiming at

You might be able to simplify your design quite a bit by getting one device that can control both outputs and also drive your control panel, which would also mean one fewer power supply.

YES PLEASE suggest away open to your advice hence request. Can you advise of cost/availability etc.

Were you looking to reuse hardware you already had?

Don’t have any hardware as above

Look forward to hearing from you.
We are trying to sort this before Xmas if possible
Warm Regards
Craig

Hi Craig,

The absolute simplest way I can imagine doing this is within the Feather ecosystem, as it has microcontrollers, relays, and screens with buttons. We also make high-accuracy temperature sensors that would be perfect for this kind of thing.

Provided your linear actuators are like ours, in that they have limit switches and diodes arranged such that it’ll stop itself once it reaches the end of its travel, and that you just need to reverse the voltage applied to get it to flip directions, then the logic on the microcontroller side would be quite easy. Generally, designing a UI for a small screen on a microcontroller is a bit more difficult. If you can avoid a UI it simplifies things a lot. Tim did a solid guide on RTCs that goes over some of the fundamental challenges like debouncing and multiple “menus”

Let us know if this looks like it’s in your ballpark effort-wise, and we can go more in-depth on the arrangement and programming of the hardware above.

Alternatively, if you’re looking for someone to do this for you commercially (I can see this is for a job), we have a few names we like to recommend

-James

2 Likes

Hi James, hope I am not out of line suggesting something completely different from that is available in Core.

I saw this yesterday and thought if Craig is looking for some specific component, with an existing materials from a bill of materials list, it is better to leave it as such.

But, if Craig is going to start all new, and want to simplify things (considering from his Avatar, he is representing a business), would it be better to look into Inkbird products? They have an .au website and have temperature and humidity controllers. It is all plug and play. The green ones are temperature controllers and blue ones are humidity controllers. Each has two plugs, so can individually control two equipment. Only two modules, easy to replace in case of failures.

Have read good reviews about their products on Amazon.

4 Likes

Hello,

Not a problem at all, we’re looking at Core’s product range all the time so we tend to gravitate towards DIY maker solutions based around that.
Looking at Craig’s project it seems like he’s after a more complete product so the Inkbird range is definitely a better match for his project. Thanks for adding a great recommendation. :slight_smile:

3 Likes