Logic Level Shifting 3.3v <> 24v

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I would like to interface directly with a 24v Digital I/O system.

I came across the following

but it is limited to 24v.

Is it possible to shift between 3.3v and 24v bidirectionally? with a prebuilt solution? or will i need to be engineering my own design?

Cheers
Ben

1 Like

Prebuilt solutions are available:

1 Like

:+1:
Thank you!.

I have never bought anything from aliexpress
are they ok?

Those links were posted as an example of what is available prebuilt - it is not a recommendation for any particular supplier. You can use the terminology from those descriptions to search across all suppliers (the descriptions are often exactly the same).

If you choose an overseas supplier it can be a good source for unusual items, but be aware that you get what you pay for, and caution is required.

1. Don’t go by the images - they are often misleading, sometimes clearly deliberately so.
  2. Read the product details very carefully to ensure that the product is exactly what you think it is. If the description is inadequate, steer clear

3. If the product has options, be very careful that the correct one is selected when you place the order.
  4. Take a copy of the product description. Product listings change frequently and the ‘snapshot’ that is attached to your order details doesn’t always include the full description.
  5. Standard postage for small items is fast and reliable. For instance, about 10 days from China is typical.
  6. Follow the tracking carefully, but take it with a grain of salt: it sometimes refers to completely different shipments. It is not usually possible to get any information other than what the tracking site provides. Shipping is done by a fulfillment agent and neither the seller nor customer support has access to any additional details.
  7. You may need to use other tracking sites when the item arrives in Australia. In some cases a new tracking number will be provided, sometimes not.
  8. Check the item carefully as soon as it arrives and raise a dispute immediately if there is a problem. I have found the response to issues prompt and fair when dealing with the site. Dealing with the actual shop is a different story.
  9. If you raise a dispute you will almost certainly be asked for a photograph of the shipping label - don’t discard the package until you are sure the item is OK.
1 Like

Hi Ben
I can’t see why you can’t use one of the mosfet level shifter devices similar to one of the Core stock BOB-12009. Should be OK as long as the 24V is within the Mosfet operational limits.

As with all of this type you will have to supply 3.3V and 24V, 3.3V to the LV connection and 24V to the HV connection.

Be aware though that while these devices happily translate VOLTAGE levels they will not supply any CURRENT as the voltage is supplied via a 10kΩ resistor.
Cheers Bob

Hi Ben,

We don’t have any logic shifters that will operate up to that voltage but as @Jeff105671 has said they are out there if you can find a supplier.

To add to Jeff’s tips, one trick I’ve seen some sellers use is to add a cheap irrelevant product to a group so the search will show up “prices from XXX” where XXX is an item one-tenth of the cost of the rest of the group and the rest of the items are far more expensive when you select the one you actually searched for.

Trent
You stock BOB-12009. That Mosfet is rated 50V source to drain so why would it not work with 24V connected to the HV point ie; the high voltage side.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob,

Good catch! I missed that one, that should work just fine.

Awesome. I will look at getting a few of these :smiley: