Makerverse USB-C LiPo Charger

I recently purchased the MKRVRS Lipo charger and decided to test it out just the other day. I have a 5V 2A wall adapter which I use for all my powering my SBCs, as well as a 3.7V 3800mAh LiPo battery. When I plugged the device into the wall adapter the led turned on, so far, all seemed good. But when I inserted the LiPo onto the other end the LTH7R immediately started smoking. The dip switches were in the default factory state which I thought is set to charge at 500mA? I checked the battery and its outputting 3.7V. Unfortunately the board is now dead, so I’m wondering what the go is - what might have caused the LTH7R to smoke a cigar on my desk.

any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated
thanks!

Hi @Jeff-007 - welcome to the forums

Please reply to your order confirmation email with a couple of photos highlighting the fault. We’ll get this sorted :slight_smile:

Hi Michael,
thanks very much, will do!

thanks
Jeff

The factory state for the DIP switches is 50mA.
I have come across some LiPo’s where the +ve and -ve are reverse to what is considered normal.
Check you have the right polarity.

The only reason I can see for the LTH7R to smoke is reverse polarity.

I have a number of these boards and they work well on all current ranges and all states of LiPo charge.

Regards
Jim

EDIT: one of the 3.7V 3800mAH LiPo’s I checked, on ALI Express, the pic shows the polarity is reversed to what I have on the ones from Core Electronics.

2 Likes

Hi @James46717 - you’re dead-on the money. Reversed battery polarity is certainly something to watch out for! The industry has not standardised around a polarity for JST connected batteries.

3 Likes

Thanks @James46717, and @Michael,
this was in fact the issue. Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of what is my first embarrassing post to the forums! At least I now know to be more aware of the differences with these batteries. Last thing I want is a Lipo detonating on my desk. I went ahead and reconfigured the battery polarity and my second MKRVRS Lipo charger seemed pretty happy.

cheers!
Jeff

1 Like

The voltage output from the wall adapter may have been higher than expected or fluctuated, causing the LTH7R to receive too much voltage and overload.

1 Like