My Arduino won't upload

I am experiencing an upload problem with my Arduino Uno R3 where I have uploaded a code to it successfully but now when I try to upload again it will not upload. I have tried the trouble shooting and have looked over the forum on Core Electronics and nothing can make it work. The connections all work and it seems not to have any problems with it except for the uploading bit.

The project I am building is a digital counter with a break beam sensor. All parts were ordered from this website, this includes:

Uno R3 (Arduino-Compatible
0.100"(2.54 mm) Breakaway Male Header
7- Segment Display - 4 digit (Red)
Shield - proto PCB Rev3
Resistors 1K x14

I hope you can help me out here in a bit of strife with this.
Thanks.
Regards: Karl Hornsby

This is the error I get.
Arduino: 1.8.3 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

Sketch uses 2704 bytes (8%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 236 bytes (11%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1812 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x81
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Using Port : COM4
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200

Hi Karl,

What happens when you try to just upload the blink example sketch?

It shouldn’t make a difference, but it will help half split.

Assuming you’re using Windows, I would suggest trying these steps to reinstall your serial drivers for the board: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoUno

A few things here don’t make sense.
Sanity check: under the Tools menu, select “Get board info” and see if you can successfully identify the board.
Make sure your board is selected correctly: Arduino/Genuino Uno
The programmer option here is irrelevant - that is only for when you’re using an external programmer like an AVR ISP II or otherwise. For arduino that’s generally only used for reflashing bootloaders.

same as before, I upload it and the same error code comes up…

I followed the steps to reinstall my serial divers but I could not find ‘arduino.inf’ in the folder, any solutions?

Also I have used another Arduino the same as mine and have uploaded the blink sketch and it has worked.

If you have another arduino that works then it sounds like a problem with the first Arduino’s bootloader.
You can re-flash the bootloader by following Arduino’s instructions.
Luckily you have a working arduino, so you can set it up as an ISP. See the Minimal Circuit section of that link - you don’t need half the components there if all you’re looking to do is flash the bootloader.

2 Likes

Did this ever get solved?

I have a theory about this and its around power… or lack of it.

I have suffered this same problem on one of my builds for along time, it too has a shield. In my case, I pretty much always get the error if I try to upload the new sketch with the shield plugged in. As soon as I unplug the shield I never get the error.

I think the problem comes from the architecture of the arduino and how if manages power. I believe that as soon as it detects the USB plugged in, thats its power source - of course then you are limited to 500mA, even if you have a bigger power source plugged into the barrel connector.

I maybe way off-course in my thinking but I cant make anything else stand up to logic, testing and real-world experience.

R
Jon

That’s a great suggestion Jon. Have you tried powering the Arduino up without the shield on @Karl47097?
Arduino’s are certainly capable of being programmed with a shield, so there could be something else in play here that is adding to the issue.
I should check Karl that you don’t have anything connected to the TX and RX pins of your board as even just a spare jumper wire can throw off the bus and won’t allow it to be programmed.

Sam,
Im not looking to hi-jack this thread, but yes. If I take the shield off then all is good and I can always upload a new sketch. My issue is not related to pins 0 & 1 (TX & RX) but I agree if a shield uses them it will / can screw things up.

My shield is a home made one with lots of bits stuck to it:slight_smile: The attached picture is almost when complete, just missing the hardware debouncing IC.

R
J