Need Help - DC BOOST STEP-UP POWER SUPPLY MODULE

I recently purchased a DC-DC USB 0.9V-5V TO 5V DC BOOST STEP-UP POWER SUPPLY MODULE for a school project. I am trying to make a portable charger and when I connect my phone it doesn’t charge and was wondering if i need a different component or if i am doing something wrong. I am using a 3.7V battery.
Thanks

Hey Ben,
Could you send through a top-down picture of your current setup?

1 Like

Hi Ben,

I suspect that the supply is trying to draw too much current, mobile phones usually charge with 1A+ that unit only provides 500-600mA. Try the setup with a low power USB device to see if it will power it.

I plugged in my UE Boom and the charging light turned on. Will I need to purchase a different component for charging a phone?

Yeah, you want something that can provide more than an amp. Also check the maximum discharge rate of the batteries as the current in to the step up supply will be bigger.

Hi Ben,

Phones (iPhones especially) need a special resistor on the charger that signifies it’s strong enough to charge, as standard USB 2.0 is 500mA by default. Something like this has that resistor already built in as well as a battery charging circuit, combined with a sufficiently large LiPo battery (although your existing one might be big enough, I can’t quite see) should be able to provide 1A+ to charge the phone.

1 Like

Ok Thank you for the help

1 Like