OctoPi Kit for 3D Printing

Any idea if or when this will come back into stock?

2 Likes

Hi Richard,

We don’t have an ETA on when more Pi 3Bs will be available, it’s been quite some time since we last had some arrive.
The Pi 3B itself is the only part of that kit that is unavailable so you could pick up the parts separately and substitute in a Raspberry Pi 4B 1GB board (available at the time this post was made) and a matching case and power supply.
OctoPi will run quite happily on any Raspberry Pi model B board newer than the 3B.

2 Likes

I don’t think 3B will be available again. It’s better to go for 4B as per Trent’s suggestion.

1 Like

Thanks Trent. I have Octoprint onto the Raspberry Pi 4. I am signing in with a username pi, password raspberry. The screen says pi@octopi:-$
Not sure where to go from here.

2 Likes

Hi Richard,

When you’re first setting up Octoprint it generates a webserver that you can log in to. usually its http://octopi.local

If you’ve made your own image you can preset the WiFi details in Pi imager: OctoPrint.org - Download & Setup OctoPrint

1 Like

Thanks Liam, I am lost. I set this up a couple of years ago for my railway (JMRI) but am struggling this time. I uploaded the image through the web site you mentioned. I set my SSID. I have the text saying it comes without a desktop environment as it is not needed to use Octoprint. How do I log into http://octopi.local? I tried typing it in but it just says no such file or directory. The screen just keeps saying pi@octopi:-$

1 Like

Hi Trent, I have Raspberry Pi 4, image installed, SSID mentioned, screen says pi@octopi:-$
Found octopi-wpa-supplicant on ther sd card. How do I access http://octopi.local on the pi?
Really do not know what I am doing.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

It sounds like you’ve got the basic setup of the hardware done and the Pi is acting as a web server you should be able to access from another computer to monitor and control the printer.

Since the whole point of Octoprint is to be able to monitor and control a 3d printer remotely when you log into the Raspberry Pi itself everything is very barebones and there is no friendly user interface to navigate.

If you use another computer on the same network and type the Raspberry Pi’s IP address into the browser you should be able to access the OctoPrint web interface and setup the printer it will be used with.

1 Like

Sounds like I am close Trent, thanks. How do I get the Pi’s IP address? Leave it with me. I will try to do it myself (unless it is really easy to tell me :wink:

1 Like

I can connect to 192.0168.1.121 but only if the Pi is connected via the ethernet cable. I thought the Pi was wifi. The printer is a long way from the ethernet connection.
Also, how does it turn on without a password. I will not have it connected to a screen or keyboard.
I changed this: ## WPA/WPA2 secured
#network={

ssid=“put SSID here”

psk=“put password here”

#}
to no hashtags put in my SSID
Not sure how to put it on but assume when you close that page and put the sd card in it does it.

1 Like

I have the web cam showing on my desktop. Still unsure how to disable password and connect wifi.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

I’m not sure exactly what step you’re getting tripped up on so I thought it may be easier to just share with you a video that goes through the whole process from start to finish. Some parts of this you’ve probably already done and some will be different, you used Pi imager instead of Win32 imager for example, but the end result is the same.

3 Likes

Hi Richard,

It sounds like if everything is working with ethernet and it’s just the wifi connection that’s giving you trouble the issue will be somewhere in the setup of the wifi.

I’ve flashed a new octopi card myself this morning following the steps Liam linked earlier and I think I’ve identified the hiccup.
The Raspberry Pi Imager for some reason is not updating the octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file that holds the network credentials for Octopi images. You can fix this by using an editor like notepad++ to open the file and save the correct credentials.

If you were to set up octopi on a network that doesn’t have a wifi password the section you need to fill in is slightly different, however, I don’t recommend connecting a device like a 3D printer to the internet without a password to protect it.

I’ll copy an excerpt from the octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file below which covers the relevant sections. One last trick is that for the Pi 4 you need to set the country code to =AU for Australia instead of the default of the United Kingdom or your wifi may not work.

## WPA/WPA2 secured
#network={
#  ssid="put SSID here"
#  psk="put password here"
#}

## Open/unsecured
#network={
#  ssid="put SSID here"
#  key_mgmt=NONE
#}

## WEP "secured"
##
## WEP can be cracked within minutes. If your network is still relying on this
## encryption scheme you should seriously consider to update your network ASAP.
#network={
#  ssid="put SSID here"
#  key_mgmt=NONE
#  wep_key0="put password here"
#  wep_tx_keyidx=0
#}

# Uncomment the country your Pi is in to activate Wifi in RaspberryPi 3 B+ and above
# For full list see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2
country=GB # United Kingdom
#country=CA # Canada
#country=DE # Germany
#country=FR # France
#country=US # United States
1 Like

Thanks Trent, I did all that yesterday. Maybe I have the wrong password. I might try the unsecure one.

That worked, using the unsecure network. However now my new Ender 3 S1 pro will not connect through the usb. Octoprint says " Your printer’s firmware supports host action commands, but they are disabled. The firmware will not inform OctoPrint about job pause & cancellations, filament runouts, and similar firmware-side events. If you want this functionality, you need to change your firmware’s configuration.
Learn more…"
I will look into it.
Thanks Trent.

" To enable support, you need to do the following:

• Marlin: Uncomment #define HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS in Configuration_adv.h and recompile."
    Sounds like something I will not do , too risky, although I did update the firmware on my Ender 3 Pro yesterday after getting a blue screen and that worked.
2 Likes