On/off switch wiring

Hi all,

I’m completely new to hobby wiring and hope you can assist with the following questions with the toggle switch and the pushbutton on/off switch.

• For the pushbutton, I’m looking to have the light on when power is on. Also as the pushbutton light is 3V and my power distribution board is 12V output, I suppose I need to add a resistor between the +ve wire and the button, assuming the pushbutton light uses around 16-18mA?

• Can I also use the switches for LED strip lights, e.g. adding the switch between the power adaptor and the lights?

• Does Core supply a similar PCB to the above as well (for my next project)?

Mant thanks!

1 Like

Hey Hoai,

I’m not entirely sure, as I don’t have that particular board to test myself, but I’ve got a feeling that I’ll be one, two, or four, seperate rails that are both connected to the same mechanical switch so that all can be controlled at the same time.

As for the next two questions, you can check the resistor that you’d need for the LED by checking the specs against this online calculator from digikey., and yes, you can use the switches for your strip lighting by simply adding them in series, as long as the strips don’t exceed the maximum voltage and/or current of the switch you’d like to use.

Unfortunately, we don’t supply a similar board to that which you’ve linked, however, we do have all of the parts to put your own together completely custom to the project. If there’s anything else that we can do for you please let us know!

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

1 Like