Our Rigol DP-832 Power Supply Review

Michael just shared a new tutorial: “Our Rigol DP-832 Power Supply Review”

The Rigol DP-832 is a 3-channel, benchtop power supply suitable for a serious maker, makerspace or product developer.
In this video I’ll take you on a tour of the supply’s operation and give my two cents on things I like and dislike.

Ke…

Read more

Hi,
Great review, thanks!
I have only used 30V PS with analogue controls before. As I usually work with truck accessories, I need voltages up to 32V, as 24V accessories must still work at 32V. The analogue units allow me to select voltage up to 31.9V.
Is this the case with this PS, or the 30V is a hard limit here?
Thanks.

30V is the limit - but they’re isolated outputs so you can put two of the outputs in series to get much higher voltages.

Watch the video - he discusses it at 5:12.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I saw that tracing thing but I hoped that I can solve it simply.

Is there a function where the rotating control can be used to change the voltage up and down? Maybe that will be the deal breaker. Because I often need to change the voltage to simulate different scenarios for both 12V and 24V accessories (normal battery, full battery, engine on, max voltage). That is very quick with the analogue controls. Here the most I can see is to save all these settings and recall them when needed.

Hi Zoltan,

Oliver33’s correct. As the outputs are isolated you can connect them in series to get up to 60V output, and yes - you can link Channel 1 and 2 together so that as you turn the knob it’ll control them both together. You can also just enter in your voltage request directly.

1 Like

I have a similar dual supply although not as sophisticated as this very nice Rigol.
My supply has a little trap. When tracking is selected the -ve of supply A is internally connected to the +ve of supply B. Under these conditions you can operate the 2 supplies in series but due to the internal connection NOT in parallel. It may only be a small point but one should be aware this connection is internal and not obvious at first. Of course you can operate the supplies independently and make this connection externally so it is immediately apparent.
With Zoltan’s application this would be the way to go as then you would only to change one supply to change the whole voltage and this change would be less sensitive to control knob movement than if the supplies were tracking.
I mentioned in a previous post that if you want to increase current capability with a parallel connection it should be done via diodes and each supply adjusted to have an equal share of the load.
I would love to have one of these but find it hard to justify now. My old one is still OK with similar specs (0-30V @ 3A each) but without the fancy display or 5V. No programming either, very basic.

Can this internal connection be checked and made known. Although with current limiting no real damage can be done it could be tricky for the unwary.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes