PICODev display

Hello,
I recently purchased a pico-dev screen from Core electronics
I was wondering can I use Ardunio IDE to program the display/screen as thorny does not work on my computer as keeps crashing when including libraries and if I can use the cable that I purchased with it to make it work

Thanks for your time
Nick

2 Likes

Hiya @R_DJ

You bet! Below is the library you’re looking for.

There are plenty of examples out there online.
Your google search term is :point_down:

“OLED Driver: SSD1306 I2C”

Good luck.
Pix :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

Thanks @Pixmusix for the help :+1:,

I also purchased the cable which has vcc and gnd that connects into the expansion board, since it’s using different wires to my ardunio components will it still work? Below is an example of the cable

Pleasure :slight_smile:

On the tread below, @Aaron said that you could cut the cables and tin the wires. :slight_smile:

Alternatively, when I was thinking about breaking into the PICO ecosystem I came across this which you may prefer.

1 Like

Thanks again,
Will keeping the cable the way it is still allow it to work; create an output from the code?

Hmmm I’m a little confused now. My fault.
Maybe I didn’t understand your original post?

The way I read the above is that your wanting to use this cable to connect your picodev display to non-picodev products, (like a button or arduino PWM pin). Did I misunderstand?

Can you tell me more about the expansion board and what other components you mean?

Nah @Pixmusix its all good I greatly appreciate the help and I too find it confusing at times,

So I have a pico and want to connect a display (picodev display) but the majority of the ports on the pico are being used so I wondered by using the cable (see the image from earlier), will it allow me to run the code that I write in the Ardunio IDE on the pico dev display?

Oh Ok I think I understand now.

The pico cable sends four things.

1. RED Power
  2. BLACK Ground
  3. BLUE Data
  4. YELLOW Clock

Those are the same four connections you would need for any SSD1306 type display :slight_smile:
That’s good news. I think the picodev cable doesn’t need any special code. It is just a handy connection that removes the need from soldering the four connections by hand.
You just need to make sure you assign the right datapin to the right cable in your code. :slight_smile:

How are you connecting the cable to your microcontroller?

1 Like

thank you!

I am connecting it to a picodev expansion board which has a pico W attached to the expansion board

How am I able to assign the right data pin to the right cable in Ardunio IDE when its not a port?

Ah this thing?

Hmmm I’ve never used this. Maybe someone for CE will need to chime in and explain how this works.

Alternatively, now that we have narrowed your question to “How can I output direct to the Clock and Data pins of my picdev cable in C++.”, you may consider writing a quick email to CE. You could point them to this thread or they may respond with an answer to your email and you can update us. :slight_smile:

Yes that is it!

Thank you!

1 Like

The connector is wrong for an Arduino, and will have to be changed. Also, the Arduino does not have the required connectors available at adjacent pins. The Arduino pins are in two separate locations, and the easiest arrangement is actually to use four separate connectors. The cable you need is this:

I’m using a pico with Arduino IDE @Jeff105671 so will it not work?

Are you using the Arduino IDE because you are connecting the display to an Arduino, or are both devices Pico? If both devices are Pico then the IDE you are using has no impact on the cabling.

@Jeff105671, thank you! that is good to know it won’t impact using Arduino IDE to programme it :+1: