PiicoDev OLED Display Module (128x64) SSD1306 Comments (CE07911)

This is a placeholder topic for “PiicoDev OLED Display Module (128x64) SSD1306” comments.

The **PiicoDev® OLED Display Module** is perfect for adding a graphical display to your next project. The monochrome white-on-black display provides a sharp image and fits a surprising amount of detail. Use this module to display text, draw shapes, animations, and even create plots.

Read more
1 Like

Hi, I have a home project I want to use and learn the Arduino system for. As a small learning project I want to create a temperature and humidity controlled box for my 3D printer filaments. I was planning on using the Seeeduino Xiao, a DHT/AHT20 sensor and was hoping to use the Piico dev display (on I2C bus) - do you have libraries that can run on the Arduino architecture instead of the RPi for the display?

Thanks Warm regards,
Paul Woods

2 Likes

I too would be interested to find out about this possibility.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Hi Paul and Bob,

Yeah the underlying driving IC (the SSD1306 certainly has drivers for the Arduino)
Check out this repo here for the docs: GitHub - adafruit/Adafruit_SSD1306: Arduino library for SSD1306 monochrome 128x64 and 128x32 OLEDs

I like to plug the Pico as often as possible, between uni (embedded C - close to Arduino code) Micropython makes doing projects sooooo fast and easy - it is another thing to learn but isn’t too much of a leap from Arduino and I think, saves a ton of time in future
Micropython really really easily, here’s the docs on that: PiicoDev OLED Module SSD1306 - Raspberry Pi Pico Guide - Tutorial Australia
And the Pico Raspberry Pi Pico (Without Headers) | Core Electronics Australia

1 Like

Hi Bob and Paul,

Just wanted to bump this topic with @John136772 's work getting the displays working on a Pico running Arduino: PI Pico using 2 OLED screens at the same time

The same library linked before should work on the Uno, and a range of others (not sure about the Nano Every) the list of tested MCU’s are on the GitHub:

Source and another link to the repo

3 Likes

I thought I would warn everyone that if you use the module continuously you get dead pixels. To test run the following code. The dead pixels will show up black on the white screen.

from PiicoDev_SSD1306 import *
display = create_PiicoDev_SSD1306()
display.fill(1)
display.show()

I am using it for a weather display. The permanent words “degC” and “%RH” are very readable. Changing numbers are blackish squares. I am going to install a push button to power on the module for a few seconds to display data.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Looking for a LCD/OLED screen about 2" x 1/2"

Hi there. I’ve been running a weather sensor on a Pico, and the two OLD screens I’ve tried are showing half a screen (bottom half) of snow. I’ve tried a few different scripts, TMP and BME sensors, two different OLEDs and different cables. Any further suggestions?

1 Like

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum!!

It sounds like you might have an old version of PiicoDev Unified installed, you can install the new one here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CoreElectronics/CE-PiicoDev-Unified/main/PiicoDev_Unified.py (You can right click to save and download)

If that doesnt get you out of trouble let us know!
Liam

1 Like

Is there a guide for this somewhere?

1 Like

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay - which part were you after the guide for?

If its re-installing the unified libraries then opening Thonny, deleting the file and re-installing using the link in my reply above or following the guide again: PiicoDev OLED Module SSD1306 - Raspberry Pi Pico Guide - Tutorial Australia

Liam

2 Likes

Just trying to use this screen by soldering to the 4 pins, and I’m getting errors like “bad SCL pin”. I assume that the one labeled C is SCL and D is SDA, am I missing something?

2 Likes

Hi Tristan,

The error bad XXX pin usually means that the I2C bus (0 or 1) is using the incorrect GP pin for that peripheral, i.e. SDA or SCL.
The pinout on the Pico pages should clarify:

Liam