Pimoroni Audio DAC SHIM (Line-Out) (PIM542)

This is a placeholder topic for “Pimoroni Audio DAC SHIM (Line-Out)” comments.

A super-simple, slimline way to hook up a hi-fi amp or powered speakers to your Raspberry Pi! Output punchy digital I2S audio whilst leaving your GPIO pins conveniently accessible.

Read more

Would this be a good ‘shim’ to mount on the CyberDeck to enable sound via headphones on the Pi400? Failing that, I thought maybe you could insulate the board, and directly solder to the back of the Pi400 headers?

3 Likes

Hi KegRaider,

There are a couple options that come to mind:

You could solder this header onto the shim, and plug that into your Pi, which should fit nicely

Alternatively, the above USB adaptor will work well too, and wouldn’t require any soldering.

Keen to hear your thoughts!
-James

2 Likes

Thanks James,

I did end up buying one of your USB adaptors, but only used it once as I found I had a spare Logitech “Lapdesk” with USB speakers embedded!! Awesome sounds under the keyboard :slight_smile: I’ll find a use for the USB adaptor in something else no doubt.

2 Likes

I’m trying to get the audio dac shim working with picoreplayer …
piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v8.2.0 | www v00017 | linux 5.15.35-pcpCore (32) | piCore v13.2 | Squeezelite v1.9.9-1430-pCP
I wasn’t sure what settings to use and all the information I came across was rather vague … but I did follow the directions on the pimorini page for the product and set the config.txt file with
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac

However in the pcoreplayer set up page I selected HiFiBerry DAC+ Light as it was still defaulting to headphones.

However shairport-sync refuses to start with these settings.
Any ideas?

On CLI I was able to test the card itself by copying a wav file over and playing it with aplay …

aplay sound.wav
Worked ok.
That means that he sound card specified seems correct …

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [sndrpihifiberry]: RPi-simple - snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac
                      snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac
1 Like