Polymer Lithium Ion Battery (LiPo) 3.7V 120mAh (CE04374)

This is a placeholder topic for “Polymer Lithium Ion Battery (LiPo) 3.7V 120mAh” comments.

Welcome to the awesomeness that is LiPo batteries. Polymer Lithium Ion batteries offer superior energy density with this 120mAh battery being only 5mm in height!

Read more

Is there a datasheet for this battery (CE04374 120mah) and the CE04379 240mah? They don’t seem to be online.

2 Likes

@AidenIoT do we have access to a datasheet or can we get one for a similar battery? Thanks mate.

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m working on a very small miniature that, originally, was going to use 2x CR2032 to power some LEDs, but I need more power, and this is a good match for my needs. It’s my first time with LIPO batteries, so I’d like to confirm if this charger is compatible:

Than you,

Hi,

That charger will work just fine with our 3.7V LiPo’s. Another popular option is the PowerBoost, which accomodates charging and usage at the same time, though it’s best suited for 500mAh+ batteries.

Does this battery have datasheet?

Battery charger Chip needs to know charge current maximum.
It states 2C discharge current - is this 2C the same for charge current?

1 Like

A datasheet is a good idea, we’ll look into that.

The safest charge rate for most LiPo batteries is 1C , or 1 x capacity of battery in Amps.
Here’s a good guide covering safety and best practices with LiPo charging.

1 Like

Hi,

Looking to use one of your Polymer Lithium Ion Battery (LiPo) 3.7V 120mAh (SKU: CE04374) in a project. I see there is overdischarge protection built into the battery. Does that mean it can be discharged to the 3V limit safetly without any additional protection and it’ll cut off? or do i need to add some additional circuitry to stop discharge at 3.1/3.2V? I will get one of those mini usb lipo charging boards for charging up again.

Thanks
Ross

2 Likes

Hi Ross,

Welcome!! Where does it mention over-discharge protection?
There is mention of minimum discharge protection which is part of the PCM but should only be relied on as a last-ditch effort to stop a fire.

Discharge is definitely a factor when designing a project and reducing risk of an incident

LiPo’s are happy working down to 3V but best practice is leaving a bit of wiggle room - some boards feature a fuel gauge IC that you can read the voltage with or a voltage divider to take a reading then signalling that something should be done - dependent on the project.

2 Likes

The data sheet:

says:
Over discharge protect voltage
3.0±0.05V

Does that not mean that built in protection board will cut discharge at 3.0v?

3 Likes

Hi Andrew,

Great point, I was more pointing out the specific wording on the product page.
Just wanted to drive home the fact that the PCM shouldn’t be relied on for overdischarge and is kind of just some reassurance that there has been an effort to reduce risk.

While an essential feature it shouldn’t be the only thing relied on to stop over-discharge and make sure the cell doesn’t exceed the rated limits (I’ve only had the guts to run a LiPo down to 3.4V on my quads and electronics projects but understand that the range is lower)

2 Likes

Yeah, I do agree and to me, the 3.0v is way too low, I’d rather it was 3.2v to be honest.

3 Likes

Strong agree there Andrew - I’m not as well versed with LiPos as @Trent5487676
But any effort to make LiPo’s safer is 100

3 Likes

I’m with Andrew here, in an ideal world your LiPo cells would always be stored at 3.5V and only be operated between 3.2 and 4.2V. The PCM will prevent the battery from being drained to a non-rechargable state but won’t prioritise the lifespan of the battery as it’s more of a safety fallback.
Using a device that has fuel gauge ICs and dedicated LiPo circuitry built-in is preferred but does add to the cost of the end devices so it’s understandable why a lot of low-power devices omit it.

3 Likes