Power HD High-Torque Servo 1501MG (POLOLU-1057)

This is a placeholder topic for “Power HD High-Torque Servo 1501MG” comments.

The 1501MG is a metal-geared analog servo from Power HD that delivers extra-high torque normally associated with much more expensive or larger servos. This is one of Pololu’s most popular standard-size servos. Servo horns and associated hardware are included. Key specs at 6 V: 0.14 sec/60°, 240 oz-in (17 kg-cm), 60 g.

Read more

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to use the 1501MG Servo however am struggling to get 180’ range of motion. The data sheet for this servo is here: Datasheet.

Is this because it has a limit angle of 180’ ± 10%, so it could be that my unit is only capable of 180 - 18 = 162 degrees?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a Servo that will have a greater range of motion so I can ensure 180’ in every application?

In terms of how I’m driving it, I’m using a raspberry pi servo hat.

I’m following the fairly basic example for operation.

from adafruit_servokit import ServoKit
servos = ServoKit(channels=16)

servos.servo[1].actuation_range = 180
servos.servo[1].set_pulse_width_range(800, 2200)

servos.servo[1].angle = 180

Any advice is very welcome.

Many thanks
Adam

4 Likes

Hi Adam,

That datasheet indicates that indeed, you should only expect about 160° maximum out of it, and that it’s only intended for regular use in a 90° range:

This indicates that it will accept commands (and attempt to position itself) over a 165° range.

The mechanical limits (ie how far it can turn before parts start colliding) is not quite the same as the electrical control limit:

This datasheet indicates that on some of these servos manufacturing variability means that some will hit their mechanical end stop before they hit their control limit (165°).

Taken together, I wouldn’t recommend trying to push it past 160° if you were intending to use dozens or hundreds of these in a product. Because you’re only using the one, you can carefully try it and see how far you can get it beyond 160°.

If you need something capable of 180°, maybe try this one:

There are also continuous rotation servos, and 270° servos:

4 Likes

Thanks Oliver,
I’m hoping to get a metal geared Standard Size Servo for repeated long term use over a range of 180’.
If so, would this Servo meet the requirements
DF Metal Geared 15Kg Standard Servo 270° (DSS-M15S)

2 Likes

Yep, that one should do 180° no worries.

I noticed on DFRobot’s site they suggest it is capable of about 250° range with a pulse width input of 450 - 2550 µs

3 Likes