Power supply for multiple stepper motors & drivers

Hi,

I’ve got a project where I need to automate the opening and closing of 4 sliding doors on a cabinet. The doors will only be small (about 300w x 200h mm) and they will be mounted on tracks with rollers. It’s not built yet, but I think the doors will move quite easily and a small stepper motor for each door will do the job.

What I plan to do is use an “Arduino Mega 2560 R3” (SKU: A000067) controller with 4 x “Small Reduction Stepper Motor - 5VDC 32-Step 1/16 Gearing” (SKU: ADA858) with 4 x “MP6500 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, Digital Current Control” (SKU: POLOLU-2968) drivers.

I can find lots of information about powering an individual driver and stepper motor, and information about how multiple motors/drivers should be wired (i.e. star configuration, not a daisy chain).

The problem I’m having is the “sizing” of the power supply when I’m running multiple (4) drivers/motors. If I was running a single driver/motor I think I could use something like “5V DC 2A Fixed 2.1mm Tip Appliance Plugpack (SKU: AM8904)” but I’m not sure if it’s the right size (voltage and/or amps) for running 4 drivers/motors.

I’m a newbie to the electronics area and I haven’t been able to find details about the power supply for multiple stepper motors & drivers.

A related question is the physical connection to the power supply. I was planning to use a “DC Barrel Jack Adapter - Female” (SKU: FIT0151), or similar, on the DC plug of the power supply so I can screw in the power wires from the 4 driver boards and to the Arduino. Or is there a better solution for connecting the driver boards and Arduino to their power source?

Thanks,

Warren.

Hi Warren,

Sounds like in your situation you can just work out the power requirement for 1 motor and multiply it by 4. Power = Voltage x Current. The voltage of your supply will remain the same, so you’ll just need more current.

That said, it sounds like you might be over-engineering this. There’s a lot to be said for simple DC motors and limit switches…

Re-the power connection options; I suggest looking at something like these: