Project by Steven; Simple e-ink dashboard

Steven just shared a new project: "Simple e-ink dashboard"

The aim of my project was to make a small display to show information such as the clock, weather, calendar, etc. I liked the idea of making a magic mirror, but wanted to try something more unique, less expensive, and easier to assemble (no woodworking required!)

Enter, my framed e-ink dashboard!

Read more

3 Likes

Well done - looks awesome :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I love the idea of using a picture frame.
How many hours do you think you spent on this project total? :slight_smile:

I spend a while on my projects because I’m a perfectionist and enjoy creating interesting things. :joy:

The code took me a long while because I didn’t really know any JavaScript or much coding in general at the time. Using HTML/JS and screenshotting a webpage really helped me as I could autofit tables etc. for the layout, and not have to worry too much.

Unfortunately, I dropped it off the desk, and the e-ink display got completely damaged - they’re really fragile.

I’ve since done a new one with an Inky Hat and Pi Zero W using the example Python code, as I’ve since learned a bit of Python. In colour too! It iterates through a folder of cartoons on the SD card and displays a new one every day. I cut a notch in the back of the cardboard panel to fit the power cord with the Pi Zero sandwiched in between.

IMG_3112 Medium 2

Again, I had a matt board cut to frame the dimensions of the panel from a local picture framing shop. And an IKEA frame again.

I do like the idea of using it to display the weather etc., so I might revisit it when I get the time. I think it looks pretty nice.

4 Likes

Hey Steven,

That one looks even better! I am yet to really get into E-ink screens though am super keen on the idea and the power usage of them for portable projects.

Great project idea and an even better looking execution of it!

Cheers,
Blayden

1 Like

this project was featured on our social media recently (Instagram post)

How good! What an upgrade :smiley: The colour display and custom mat really enhance the visual appeal.
(i grew up on cyanide and happiness comics so mad nostalgia cred too :laughing:

1 Like