Project Parts for Remote Fixed GNSS Station

I am looking for parts suggestions to create the following project -

AIM to have a remote outdoor FIXED GNSS BASE unit (EMLID -LiFePO4 3.2V, 30.72 Wh battery accessible and communicatable via wireless from a Raspberry pi node which in turn is connected to the things network.
Pi to be within 1m of GNSS unit.
I’ll also need to create a things gateway as nothing local – housed in building with external aerial – has 240v available. 50m from GNSS base station.

GNSS unit requires power input between 5 & 40 volts.

What I’m thinking is the following modules

1. Solar Power with 12V storage. Charging regulation and Protection
  2. Raspberry Pi as a node with UPS
  3. Things Gateway (NO Gateway within the area) - Laird Sentrius RG191 LoRaWAN Gateway (AU Version)
  4. The above pi Node with Communications to Things Gateway and GNSS Unit
    Any additional modules or suggestions?

DETAIL Components, sizing and Parts SUGGESTIONS

1. Solar Power
  • Fixed Solar Panel, sizing, type etc cables, Intelligent monitoring for battery condition and charging/discharge parameters. loss of input power etc

• 12V low maintenance Battery

1. Node with UPS
  • Raspberry Pi 4 mod B 8GB

• piJuice + 10000mah battery??

• System cooling??

• Power step down, regulation and monitoring from 12V Battery

1. Gateway
  • Laird Sentrius RG191 LoRaWAN Gateway (AU Version

• External Aerial

• Cabling and connectors

1. Communications
  • Something like PyCom modules - require Wireless, Bluetooth, GSM
  • Power to the module

The installation is outside in the weather so a fixed permanent solar panel is preferred over the folding transportable variety. Follow the sun isn’t really required.

Discussion and Any advice appreciated.

1 Like

i am not 100% shore of your idea…??
also if you could list the make and model numbers of the hardware you all ready have at hand…and those you don’t…
somebody here will be able to give you better feed back…phase out…///

1 Like

In a nutshell I need to solar power a remote device (GNSS Unit) and be able to access, monitor and retrieve data from the GNSS unit via the things universe.

The only part I have is the GNSS unit.

I am attempting to put together a BOM.

1 Like

Hi Bruce,

Sounds like an interesting project! For your solar power and 12V supply setup, I would recommend looking at a large monocrystalline cell, it’ll likely have to be larger than those we supply depending on how much power this device will be drawing constantly. I’d also go with SLA rather than Li-based cells in your battery, the energy density is much better on Lithium cells, however, SLA is usually better in the weather, and safer/easier to replace if required (we don’t supply SLA batteries ourselves as they don’t suit our logistics process here, but that’d likely be your best bet).

The Pi 4 should be a good choice for a microcontroller in this case, the PiJuice should also provide some extra buffering to your input that you can step-down with a 5V converter (make sure to check the exact voltage and current requirements of your board depending on the way in which you’re powering it).

Do you know how far you’d need the transmission to go within LOS? From there we should be able to determine an appropriate SDR setup for the things network. Also let me know if you’d prefer links to recommendations, I didn’t include them here so it would be easier to read.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

1 Like

Hi Bryce

Thanks for the feedback.

Your reply is gelling with my thoughts quite well.

It’s a work project so when I have my shopping list completed I’ll get our PO to order what I can get from Core.

I’ve embedded some words in your email below.

Thanks

Bruce

1 Like

Hi Bruce,

No worries, please let me know if there’s anything you need.

1 Like

Hey Bruce,

I think the IOT communications protocol for the pi to talk to the GNSS unit may be a nice fit here. Its called MQTT check it out:

Its a nice lightweight protocol for IOT communication
If the GNSS unit is only going to be 1m away from the Pi then a WIFI implementation may work fine

1 Like

Thanks. Shall do.

2 Likes