Quick question regarding Adafruit microSD logic level

Hi,

I have this breakout board - https://core-electronics.com.au/microsd-card-breakout-board.html, I have been successfully using it with a Due at 3.3v.

However, I now have a situation that I want to power it from 5v, but keep the SPI logic level at 3.3v for the Due.
It is not quite clear to me how the internal logic level shifters are arranged, but I would suspect that the 5v Vin would set the logic level to 5v for its SPI output? Or is it smart enough to know I have a 3.3v board connected?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Christopher,

Welcome back!

Yeah all of that happens on the breakout board!

Adafruit have designed it so regardless of the controller providing 3.3 or 5V the card always receives 3V.

On the product page of you head over to the product tutorial link half-way down you can check out the schematic.
It works much the same as the Makerverse module

Liam

Thank you, I understand that the SD card is always looked after in terms of seeing 3.3v, but I am worried about the Arduino Due inadvertently receiving 5v…
I will look closely at the schematic and try and understand!

Ok, so it looks like the data output doesn’t pass through the logic level converter (highlighted below), so therefore would always be 3.3v.

I’ll give it a try, thank you very much for such a quick response.

1 Like

Hi Christopher,

No worries, sorry I didnt clear that bit up, glad you got to the bottom of it and thanks for sharing!

Liam