Randomise the power of a solenoid thourgh a remote wireless switch

I am looking at creating a pin release mechanism powered by a solenoid. I want this to be controlled by a wirelss remote though a random timer. To expalin, I would press a wireless controll button that will initialise a random timer switch to activate the solenoid once at a random interval within 5-15s. We are considering using a lock type and or push pull type solenoid. Would anyone be able to help in regards to the circuitry regarding how to complete the timer system and remote.

Regards Jaspar

2 Likes

Hi Jaspar,

That’d be pretty simple to do with a microcontroller, have a read of our guide on controlling solenoids with an Arduino (the process should be pretty similar no matter what microcontroller you’re using):

As for wireless functionality, something like this would likely be the simplest:

Alternatively, a bluetooth-based system might also work well, but would require a good deal more coding.

The time delay coding would be super simple, something like delay(random(5000, 15000))

Let us know if you have any more questions!
-James

3 Likes

Hi Jaspar,

Another neat way to get random numbers on a microcontroller (or any device with an ADC for that matter is to read a floating analog pin.

3 Likes

G’Day James, thanks for your reply. I would like some more information regarding the products I need to complete the circuit so I can order them all in one go. Do I need products like the Arduino Uno, power transistors, diodes and so on, if so can you please list them. And the products like the microcontroller and the coding platform, does it matter which one? I’m an amateur at doing projects like this so can you please give me an insight on which things to buy

Thanks again and Regards Jaspar

1 Like

Hi Jaspar,

To keep your options open in the future I’d go for an ESP32 and use a simple UI from your phone

For the relay I’d go with the Relay Feather board and to power the whole thing a USB battery bank:

You’ll need a soldering iron to attach the headers and bridge a solder connection

And the solder of your choice

Liam

2 Likes

Cheers Liam, Will that battery bank be able to power the whole system, like solenoid and all?
Regards Jaspar

1 Like

Hi Jaspar,

Yeah it should be good, I remember Bob mentioning battery banks like this having a threshold current where it remains on but the ESP32’s are a bit more power hungry than say a Pico or Arduino. It’d be great to get some measurements though.

Also if you are worried you can also go for a LiPo pouch and connect it to the JST port on the side, just make sure you have the same polarity that Adafruit intended (you’ll need a multimeter).

1 Like

G’Day Liam, could you help me out in regards to the remote wireless link kit, the one suggested above is not in stock and I need to get my hands on one asap, is there any alternatives that will work with my system? if so can you please list it.

Regards Jaspar

1 Like