Raspberry Pi 5 8GB - Barebones Kit (CE09804)

Hi James
Thanks for the insight.
It would appear that it will be quite some time yet that I personally will get over interested in RPi.
Thanks again
Cheers Bob

Is this pi5 model B 8gb?

Hi Bob,

I think the Raspberry Pi has had its run.
Glad I could not buy one when the Pi 5 released. Would have been a disappointment to me, now that I have looked at it in some detail.

It has some good changes from the Pi 4 but not enough to make it significant.
It should have released with a M2.5 NVMe hat that could be used to boot; rather than rely on other developers. (which is still in development btw)
Dual PCI-E at least too.

Not having enough stock to meet demand is a bad move.
Catering to corporate buyers shows they are not interested in hobbyist and that is a big mistake.

Anyway it still a good product, all of the Raspberry Pi Corporation products are well made and work well. Although it may take a bit to get it going, which is what being a hobbyist is all about.

Cheers
Jim

Hi All,

Am I the only one with a bunch of dell (or other laptop) 65W USB-C PD supplies? I don’t have a RPI5, but if I got one (while I wait for the official one to come in and if I needed the power) then wouldn’t a laptop charger work in the meantime? I know it is sub-optimal, but it allows development while waiting for appropriate parts. Also, there are some true USB-C PD powerbanks that are great too. Do any of the Core Electronics Power Banks output enough current on 5V?

Gary

The quick and simple way out is to wire the USB connector according to the Pi’s requirement. That’s a few cents compared to quite a few dollars. The problem is that a device that indicates it can supply 5V at 5A is not part of the official PD spec, and AFAIK there is no information about what the Pi is looking for to identify its approved supply. However it is likely that it is just an extrapolation of the 5V at 1.5A or 3A resistor values (22K, 10K, 5K??). It is probably just a matter of time before the community works out what the communication from the official PS is and publishes the details. In the meantime users would be best off by making sure their supplies are wired for 5V at 3A (which they probably are if they worked with earlier models) and powering attached USB devices separately.

1 Like

@Gary126657 For me this is the important part from the Raspberry Pi documentation.

While USB-PD capable phone chargers advertise greater than 15W of power, virtually all of them achieve this by increasing the voltage instead of providing more current at +5V. If you are using a power supply that cannot provide 5A at +5V on first boot you will be warned by the operating system that the current draw to peripherals will be restricted to 600mA.

If you used a different supply and it somehow provided more than 5V then the Pi 5 would die.
If the supply stays at 5V then all ok. The GUI message can be ignored, but the ports would be limited to 600mA.

Cheers
Jim

1 Like

Hi Jeff

Do I have that much time ??? 88 in a couple of weeks.
I am afraid that if I purchase something that is supposed to do a job I don’t expect to have to reverse engineer the damn thing before I can power it up without purchasing an “official” power supply.
Cheers Bob

Hi @Robert93820,

I am curious, what do you plan to put on the USB? I only ask as I have never used anything more than a USB to ethernet adapter or a keyboard/mouse and don’t have experience with large power demand on the USB.

The PI4 Power Supply will run the board fine, just not peripherals with high current demand. This was a fairly common issue back with the original RPIs and while I know we are expecting better these days, unfortunately, new products to the market will have surprises (such as, I thought it wasn’t USB-C PD compliant and then found out it is and then now fear how much flexibility is in the spec… I now understand why not all laptops like my dell USB-C power supply).

In the early RPIs, we used a powered USB hub to run peripherals. I still tend to do that anyway as I just don’t like to run high power demands off the small board and at least if the hub fails, I can still communicate to the board.

Cheers,

Gary

1 Like

You don’t have to do anything like that. The situation with the Pi is exactly the same as it’s always been for any development board - the power available from the board is limited. The Arduino can drive a few LEDs but don’t try powering servos from the on-board 5V. The Pi is the same, except that the devices are USB. If you need more power than is available then provide a separate supply, which is often good practice anyway. The difference is that when the details become available (or if you choose to use the official supply) the Pi, thanks to USB_C and PD, can pass the power directly through to the device.

3 Likes

Hi Gary

Nothing. All I would use the “input” USB for would be to communicate with a computer or something for development purposes.

I would probably always power a motor (brushed, stepper or brushless) or servo externally and not via the parent controller (Arduino or RPi).
My question was if this supply is 5V with plenty of Amp available why could I not power a RPi5 with it without the thing telling me the power supply is not up to it.

Keep in mind I do not have or am likely to have in the near future a RPi5 but am going on what I read on this forum re RPi power.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Hi Jeff

I am fully aware of that and my normal practise would be to power external things from a capable source.

As stated above
Quote:
My question was if this supply is 5V with plenty of Amp available why could I not power a RPi5 with it without the thing telling me the power supply is not up to it.
End quote.
If the required voltage for peripherals is not 5V the supply has to be external anyway.
Yesterday you said

That to me is a bit of reverse engineering or “hacking” whichever term suits.

The rest of my reply to Gary re purchase of RPi5 applies
Cheers Bob

2 Likes