Raspberry Pi 5 8GB - Barebones Kit (CE09804)

This is a placeholder topic for “Raspberry Pi 5 8GB - Barebones Kit” comments.

Unlock more potential with the 8GB Barebones Kit, housing Raspberry Pi 5 Model B, a power supply, and a 32GB pre-flashed Bookworm OS. A boon for the avid explorer, awaiting the official accessory lineup.

Read more

2 Likes

This kit DOES NOT come with a raspberry pi 5 power supply, but a raspberry pi 4 power supply which is underpowered for raspberry pi 5 as mentioned on the official website. This is very misleading and dishonest.

2 Likes

Hi JieMee,

Welcome!

The Pi5 PSU is awaiting Australian certification and the older Pi4 PSU will still power the Pi up, without any limitations on the CPU.
Core mention that the Pi4 is included in the bundle and list it in the included parts in the description.

1 Like

Sorry but I just have to say.
The Pi 5 supply is true USB-C. Output voltage is negotiated by supply and device it is plugged into.
The Pi 4 supply is just 5.1V. Even though it has a USB-C connector.

I’ll wait till I can get an official Pi 5 supply.

2 Likes

Hi Jim,

Completely agree that the new supply is far superior.
USB-C standards are a bit of a landmine (Even though USB-C is just the connector).
The negotiation of voltage and current is handled by a PD controller (power delivery: USB hardware - Wikipedia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W13HNsoHj7A (a very interesting standard!!))

The Pi4 is still USB compliant and offers a pretty good Watt/$ PSU.

Definitely understand people wanting the new PSU for the Pi5 though.

2 Likes

Hey Everyone,

Liam is dead on with this one, we are still waiting on certification which we are hoping to have by the end of this month. So the hope is everything will be available towards the end of this month or early December. Keep an eye out for them around then!

Cheers,
Blayden

1 Like

The power supply, as listed on my order email, is for a raspberry pi 4, 15W. The recommended supply for the pi 5 is 27W. Many users would already have a spare pi 4 power supply! I was mislead by the web page text. I expected a raspberry pi 5 kit to contain pi 5 components.

2 Likes

Hi Stephen,

Fair assumption, though the description says that a 15W supply is included and it will still definitely work with the 4.

1 Like

I was hoping my comment would appear on the kit web-page, so others are not fooled. Unfortunately, my order shipped, before I realised the error. I agree with @259924 “very misleading” and @James46717. 15W != 27W. I sent Blayden an email concerning return. I will await his reply.

1 Like

There is another reason I don’t go for these deals, which I hesitate to mention.
32GB pre-flashed Bookworm OS

My first venture into Raspberry Pi included a NOOBS micro SD card, which I thought I needed.
Later found it easy enough to create my own SD card and a better option; as the Pi I bought was a Zero, very very slow GUI. Originally I thought it was broken.
In my opinion the NOOBS was not value for money considering it quickly became out of date with OS updates and did not suit what I wanted to do. OS Lite was the best option for the Zero.

Regards
Jim

2 Likes

Hey Jim,

I agree for the Pi zero that the full OS with GUI isn’t the best option. For the Pi 5 though it will require the Bookworm OS for now as it best fits the use case of the Pi 5. As with any other Pi release, we will surely see alternate OS options catch up and it should be widely useable with everything from ParrotOS to a lightweight OS’s like Lite.

Cheers,
Blayden

RPi5 Case , RPi5 cooler - have either arrived yet ?

We don’t have any cases as of yet and we are hoping to get them in soon.

As for the coolers we have stock of this one.

1 Like

not able to checkout my order, keep getting error 32

Hi All
I have been reading various posts about this new RPi5. A lot has been centred around this “official” 27W power supply. What is so special about it?? For instance I have a perfectly good MeanWell 5V 14A supply (operating XMAS lights at the moment but can easily put to other uses) so why could I not use that. There seems to be a lot to say about you “Must” use the RPi supply but I refuse to buy that. If I could not use some other supply that fits all the criteria without voiding some sort of warranty I don’t think I would bother to purchase. I probably won’t be purchasing anyway but am just having my little say on the matter. Bit pointless to offer it for sale if one can’t purchase a supply to run it or has to have the “official” supply (which is apparently not available) to have any warranty.
Cheers Bob

The RPi 5 will certainly run from an external supply.
The confusion comes from people receiving a warning that they are not using a USB PD supply. While this doesn’t affect the CPU, it does mean that connected USB peripherals may receive throttled power. This isn’t a problem for most users - but affects users that want to use power-hungry accessories.

So long as the PSU meets the voltage and regulation specs I see no problems.

The PD breakout board for Pi5 - #27 by James46717 thread covers most of why you would use the official supply.

For me this is the important part from the Raspberry Pi documentation.

While USB-PD capable phone chargers advertise greater than 15W of power, virtually all of them achieve this by increasing the voltage instead of providing more current at +5V. If you are using a power supply that cannot provide 5A at +5V on first boot you will be warned by the operating system that the current draw to peripherals will be restricted to 600mA.

Regards
Jim

I think that needs the caveat “…and the USB connection is configured so it correctly signals to the CPU that it can supply that current at 5V”. The problem reported seems to be that, even when the supply has adequate power, the Pi does not detect that it is capable.

1 Like

Hi Michael
The replies from James and Jeff above have enlightened me a bit.

Firstly, James’ quote from RPi documentation is interesting. I would consider this quite normal. It is normal for a multi output supply specs to publish the TOTAL power. Say if you had a 15W supply providing 5V and 12V and you use 10W of that from the 5V output that will only leave 5W available from the 12V output. To me that is quite normal. The difference might lie in that a reputable manufacturer will state definitely in the product description and specs that power rating is the TOTAL power available while a shifty outfit (of which there seem to be many) will leave that little fact hidden in the fine print. Like a Power Bank with dual 5V 2.1A outputs. That 2.1A is usually only one at a time and is the TOTAL current available to be shared by both outputs. Sad but shifty but that seems to be getting the norm these days.

Now to Jeffs reply re communicating with the supply. If that situation is true it strengthens my belief above that even if I had a capable supply it could be rejected because it does not have the ability to tell RPi “I can easily supply 10A” or whatever.
Hypothetical situation. I have a system in place which has a power supply of say 3 separate voltages, one of which is 5V @ say 20A. Working away quite happily. Now this system is due for an upgrade and modernisation and to do this I decide the RPi5 is the best way to go. Do all the software and testing and all is ready to go. Set everything up including connecting the RPi5 to my very robust 5V supply. Switch on and up comes an error saying my power supply has not enough capability and everything has been turned down to 600mA or whatever. This because my power supply cannot communicate to the RPi saying “I am big enough for anything you can throw at me”. Then I look for a quick and simple way out. the easiest would be to purchase an “Official” RPi5 supply, which does not seem to be available yet anyway. This would smell to me to be one way to sell another "Official’ supply needlessly.

Now I might be completely wrong here but that is the impression I get from skimming (I admit to not reading thoroughly) through relevant posts. If so so please correct me. I have had no real experience with RPi. I have a couple of Picos which I haven’t had a chance to play with yet but to the outside observer there seems to be a plethora of software, operating systems, firmware etc combinations with very little in the way of backward compatibility that it is all too confusing. Even the difference between Pico and PicoW ADC pinning seems to be causing some grief. I would have thought they would have been drop in replaceable to a large extent.

Anyway I don’t feel confidant in my ability to keep up with all the changes and combinations so RPi will remain on the back burner for a while yet I am afraid.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

On the Official Raspberry Pi Corporation forum there was a post asking if they were going to release the power supply to device communications protocol. The answer was NO. They said the comms is standard USB-C protocol. But, also it said any latency could cause the power management chip to disconnect power. The intricacies of the Pi 5 remain obscure for now.

I can see a situation where someone has a high current supply, links in with the USB-C pins to tell the Pi 5 it has enough power. It would be a pretty big, low level hack of the USB-C connection. Not something I am up for at this time. But someone will do it eventually. The power management chips are readily available. The firmware used by the Pi 5 is not.

Cheers
Jim

PS The Raspberry Pi Corporation is not going to release the schematic for the Pi 5, not yet, is my understanding. The unavailability of the Pi 4 schematic when I was playing with one caused me frustration as I did not know for sure if what I was doing to provide power was going to work.