Raspberry Pi Pico Soldering

Hi there. I am new to soldering, and was wondering if you sold any solder that was optimal for the Raspberry Pi Pico GPIO headers. I have bought a soldering iron, and it came with quite thick solder that I am sure would be too tricky to use with what I need it for. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

A typical 40W soldering iron will be fine. I think you will find this video helpful: Soldering Header Pins to your Raspberry Pi Pico - YouTube

2 Likes

Hi, I already have a 30W iron, and was just wondering if Core Electronics sold the diameter of solder that was best to use with the Raspberry Pi Pico. Thanks for your reply anyway!

2 Likes

Hi Ezra
There is no solder specific to Pico. I find that 0.7mm diameter a pretty reasonable all round size for most electronic uses. With 5 cores of flux. I say this as I think you can still get single core which is not much good for this purpose (plumbing probably OK). Should be available from Core but also Jaycar, Altronics and any other electrical/electronic outlet.

There is also Lead Free solder which requires a bit higher temperature than usual. Also probably a temperature controlled iron to get that higher temperature. As a newcomer to this task I would suggest you stick with the m common 60/40 tin/lead alloy which will be easier for you to use I think.

Those header pins you want to solder are quite thick so maybe 30W a bit borderline but should be fine if you let the iron heat up properly and let it recover for 30 Sec or so between soldering of these pins. If you are too quick with this iron it won’t recover enough and you will finish up with dry or improperly soldered joints.

Study some instruction material, written and visual and have some practice before sailing forth and wrecking boards, also introducing faults and other problems.

Happy soldering
Cheers Bob
Just had a look at that video.
Basically what the presenter says is OK. BUT not most of the pins he has used way too much solder which could be due to a couple of factors.
Solder too large
Pushing the pins right into the proto board. This will provide additional unwanted heatsink and has resulted in the soldering operation taking too long to heat the pin properly. I find it better to insert the pin strip into an unused bit of circuit boards to hold it square. Solder the 2 end pins to hold the strip in position then remove the circuit board and complete the operation with the pins in free air. Much quicker soldering operation with a better result. you should see the shape of the pin with a nice clean and shiny concave fillet. A dull non shiny finish usually indicates a possible dry joint. reheating momentarily sometimes rectifies this.
Temperature choice of 350ÂşC is OK.

3 Likes

Hi Ezra,

As Bob suggested we use 0.7mm solder as its a good middle ground for through-hole soldering.
Combined with our soldering guide, and a bit of practice you’ll be able to create all types of amazing projects: Soldering 101 - Tutorial Australia

If you want to jump into PiicoDev or other solderless systems we have pre-soldered options for the Pico as well: Pico - Raspberry Pi Australia

Liam

2 Likes

Hey Ezra,

Soldering can be a useful skill to learn and it opens up a new world in DIY electronics! We have a range of solder that may be more suited to your needs, check out this solder for a bit of a thinner option.

I think all of the advice here should get you on your way to be a pro in no time at all. Best of luck with the project and don’t forget to update us on how it went!

Cheers,
Blayden

2 Likes

Hi Ezra, Blayden

If you are going to really dabble in this sort of thing I would call soldering an ESSENTIAL skill.
Ezra, Liams link to that tutoriall is a must if you have never done any soldering. Digest it and get some practice.
Cheers Bob

4 Likes

Yeah, Bob is correct.

Key thing is practise, practise and then more practise!

1 Like

Hi Ezra.
As mentioned above,solder of 0.5mm or 0.7mm diameter is fine for most electronic soldering purposes. Core’s 0.8mm-diameter options would also be OK.
If you search YouTube for “soldering”, you will find a range of soldering tutorials ranging from beginner to advanced. Everything from how to get started with soldering, through to methods for more advanced techniques such as soldering surface-mount components of various types.
You’ll find it a great skill to learn.
Best wishes.

Hi Ezra
Blayden’s link above to 0.5mm 60/40 alloy solder stocked by Core would be a pretty good all round choice for your purpose.
Cheers Bob

My suggestion and what I have found works best for fine soldering like GPIO pins.

regards
Jim

+1 for thin solder. If you need to add more you just add more :slight_smile: