RaspController - Use Your Phone to Control Your Raspberry Pi

Hey all, this is a long overdue forum post for RaspController - Use Your Phone to Control Your Raspberry Pi

Much as the name implies we are going to control our Raspberry Pi remotely using a mobile phone! There are many different ways to use your mobile phone to remotely control and manage any Raspberry Pi and one of the best options out there to date is the phone application RaspController (you can also find it for free in the Google Play Store). Once connected together this application will allow you to control every GPIO port, send commands via SHH to the Raspberry Pi terminal, shortcut those terminal commands so they can be activated using a single click, view images from a connected camera, collect data from different sensors, access all the files/folders and has full PiSense HAT compatibility. It also provides CPU speed and temperatures so you can keep track of the operation of Raspberry Pi Boards remotely.

This is an excellent method to get python codes up and running remotely and quickly through the use of those custom commands. Is honestly just a very intuitive way to control a Raspberry Pi hand-held computer and this guide will show you exactly how to set it up.

Read more

3 Likes

Hi, I’m interested to know if you have tried this with a Raspberry Pi Pico W? I’ve be tasked to build a robotic arm controller using the Pico W and an app of some sort.
Thanks

1 Like

Hey mate,

RaspController is currently only for Raspberry Pi Single Board Computers. As the Pico is a Microcontroller it doesn’t fit under that umbrella.

We do have lots of great guides on making control mechanisms with the Pico W. Here is a great one on opening a garage door with a webpage generated by the Pico W - WiFi Garage Door Controller | Raspberry Pi Pico W Project - YouTube

You could modify the above ^ to control your robotic arm through WiFi, which would make for a very swell project.

Hope that helps,
Tim!

Thanks for that Tim, I’ll give it a go,

Cheers
Shane

2 Likes

I want to get a gift for a friend who has a raspberry pi. I’m thinking of getting him one of these boards along with some sensors. However, I can’t seem to find a pack in amazon and I don’t know exactly what he will need. A lot of these packs come with the raspberry pi pico. Should I get him one of those? What should I do?

1 Like

Hi Nria,

What a sweet present!

The Pico would be great - they’re much like the Maker loved Uno, the number of example projects are growing every day.
The above guide unfortunately wont work but they can program the Pico with the Raspberry Pi.

We also have the PiicoDev kits for both the Pico and Raspberry Pi: PiicoDev Australia
Or if you are pressed for time we have digital gift cards available: Gift Card | GIFT-CARD | Core Electronics Australia

Let us know if you like the look of anything above!
Liam

Hi Liam,

I was wondering, can the raspberry pico sensors be connected and used directly in a raspberry pi? Or do I need to buy the pico in order to use them?

Also, another idea I have is getting him a camera, but I don’t know what he would like better. He doesn’t know much about machine learning yet but he always says he’d like to, so maybe this would be a good stimulator. What do you think? Which idea is better?

Finally, I’m not in Australia, I live in Spain. Does that make a difference? Do you ship things here and does the cost change a lot?

Thanks again for your help,

Núria

Hi Núria,

If you’re planning on using the same connectors as our Pico Kit, we have you sorted. This Piicodev adapter sits on the Pi’s GPIO pins.

As for if we ship internationally we do with exceptions. Not all products are available and there is some rules regarding package sizes and weights, products for machine vision likely won’t ship overseas. We have a bit more information in our FAQs.