Roomba mini din serial to usb cable construction

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to make a cable and I don’t have any electronics experience.
https://www.irobotweb.com/~/media/MainSite/PDFs/About/STEM/Create/Create_2_Serial_to_USB_Cable_Creation.pdf?la=en

Following the above guide/ link I believe these are the two parts I need:

I’m not sure if the usb part is suitable or how to make a slightly robust cable and what equipment will be required.

Any input would be great
Cheers
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

It looks like you found the correct parts. You will need a soldering iron, solder, and probably some heat-shrink. The best way to make it robust is just some good heat-shrink around your solder connections.

1 Like

Hi I just wanted to give an update for the fun of it.
I made an initial mistake and confused the Mini din in/out side and hooked it up mirrored. I attempted to connect to PC, couldn’t get it to work and gave up. This is the guide I used:

from This link.

I came back today to have another crack, searched around and found this discrepancy between two guides outlined here.

I then followed this guide , rewired the cable, plugged into pc and I couldn’t find the USB device.

Then I noticed a hot plastic smell and discovered this: image
So back to the shopping cart for attempt no. 3. aha
I’m not sure where I’ve messed up. Maybe the first attempt was good and the problem was elsewhere.
I need to get my head around the mini-din getting flipped and which USB wire goes to what pin regardless of orientation.

Cheers
-Charlie

2 Likes