Servo cables

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I am about to start a project involving multiple servos that will be up to 2m away from the servo driver. I also need cables to be as minimally visible as possible.

Could a ribbon cable be used to connect JR plugs to work as an extension cable.

Michael

Hello Michael,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :smiley: ! Yes, but that’ll be dependent on the particular device that you’re using to power and control the servos as well as the draw of the servos that are being used. What’re the specifications of your particular project?

P.S. These cables likely won’t be appropriate, but it this the sort of part that you’re after?

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

Thanks Bryce

SG90 servos will be used to change points/turnouts on an HO model railway using a circuit board servo driver (Octopus III). Everything is only in planning stage at the moment, so can only rely on manufacturer recommendation of 1amp per servo.

Ribbon cable was being considered to make my own variable lengths extension cables, as there will be 3 sets of cables going to/from the driver - number of wires in each is 9, 12 and 21. It would be much easier to hide a ribbon cable 21 wires wide than to hide 7 servo cables with 3 wires each. Ribbon cable would also allow me to terminate with plugs at required intervals instead of having excess cable to hide.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Okay, that sounds good. I’ve linked a ribbon cable that should be appropriate for your particular project below, unfortunately, we don’t have a 27 wide strip, however you could use 3x 10 wide strips as an equivalent. If there’s anything else that I can do for you please let me know.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support