Soldering DC Power Jack

How do I go about soldering the following DC Power Jack.

Tabs 2 and 3 beep when checking continuity.
Tabs 4 and 5 beep when checking continuity.

Tab 1 = VCC
Tab 2 = GND?
Tab 3 = ?
Tab 4 = ?
Tab 5 = ?

Thanks

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

Good news, the info you need is right in that datasheet!

Most power supplies are centre positive, so according to the schematic in the bottom right of the datasheet, positive would connect to pin 1 (shown in the bottom view in the middle as the pin on the bottom in that particular orientation. The front two pins seem to be used for mounting only, but may be connected to ground.

Hope this sorts you out!
-James

1 Like

Thanks mate! If you don’t mind to confirm the following.

• Tabs 4 & 5 are shield and beep when continuity checked, so no need to create a track between them?
  • Tab 4 is connected with track to tab 3 or 2? to make the most of it, then to Arduino GND or is the PSU- enough? Tabs 3 & 2 beep when continuity checked so no need to create a track between them?
  • Tab 1 is PSU+

Hey,

If you have the plugpack you are going to use handy it might be worth connecting that one up to confirm the pins. and testing with a DMM.

In PCB manufacture there is lots of ‘do this but also this’ and depends on the situation. Grounding the shield is usually a safe bet. Most ECAD software will have rules depending on how you defined each pin (if you made separate pins for each through-hole then you’ll have to make a link on the schematic so you can link it).

Making a ground plane is generally good practice: there’s some good discussion on this weeks Factory EP: The Factory | Testing High Frequency SMT Protoboards - YouTube

2 Likes

Hi ss2
I think you should insert a mating plug and check again between the plug and pins with the plug inserted.

You may find tat pin 2 is the centre pin and pin 1 is ground. The continuity between pin 2 and 3 is a built in switched (closed with nothing plugged in) and opens when the plug is inserted. For a power socket ignore pin 3.

I could be wrong here but looking at the pic pin 1 seems to be connected to the outer connection of the plug (ground). So please insert a plug and check again.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

From the continuity test the following beep together, should the following be okay?

• the + on board should go to tab 1
  • the - on board should go to tab 2
  • Create track between tabs 2, 3, 4 & 5 then a track to Arduino GND as I don’t have ground plane on the PCB.

3 Likes

Hi ss2
It would appear I was wrong. When I looked at your other pics I thought I was looking at the front of the socket not the rear. You can connect pin 2 and 3 or ignore pin 3 altogether. The internal switch is not used in your application.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Hey,

As mentioned before; it will depend on how you want it to work, it shouldn’t matter which ones you have hooked up (unless you need to move more current through the connector).

1 Like

Oh yes it does
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Dunno what I was thinking when I wrote that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

The confusing thing about these kind of sockets is the GND is the switched signal. (pin 2 & 3)
Physically it is the easiest way to do it.
Have been caught out by these sockets in the past. My electronic theory says the +ve signal should be switched.

The diagram bottom right shows electrically how the signals are connected. When a cable is plugged in pins 2 & 3 disconnect. The GND of the cable is connected to pin 2, the +ve is connected to pin 1, pin 3 is not connected. When the cable is removed pins 2 & 3 connect again.

The idea behind this design is the GND of an internal battery (or some form of power supply) is connected to pin 3. The circuit GND is connected to pin 2. So when a cable is plugged in the power comes from the cable, when removed the power comes from the internal battery or power supply.

Anyway, cheers
Jim

2 Likes

Hi All
Could also be used to alert a device that external power is removed.
For this application however I think it would be best to ignore pin 3 and save confusion.
Cheers Bob

2 Likes

Hey All,

Thanks for the help! First time creating a PCB and doing something like this, weekends been productive!

How did I do with the DC Power jack lol. Curious what would happen if it was live and I touched the shield on the DC Power jack?

4 SSR’s connected.

1 Like