Stacking Perforated board above Relay board

Hi all.

I am trying to work out the neatest way of stacking or joining the attached relay board and some perforated board which will ultimately have a nodemcu soldered to it along with some terminals

Has anyone done something similar and could reccomend a solution?

1 Like

Is there such a thing as a female-female gender changer?

1 Like

How about soldering a male header to the female header.
Not too elegant but would extend the height enough and look ok with careful soldering.
Regards
Jim

1 Like

Haven’t seen one, longer pins both sides male to male.

1 Like

nice and simple.
wont see it once it is installed away in a box ;).

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

Hi Ben
You would use spacers (threaded M2.5 or M3) to separate the boards. It would be a bit much to expect the existing holes to match so some careful drilling would be required.
it looks like the hobby board is the larger so would be the one to drill. DO NOT drill the relay board as there may be some hidden tracks you could damage. The proto board looks like a Core MakerVerse board and if so the tracks are only between holes and are marked. Even so, if the spacer mounting holes are required where there are holes in the board that section may have to be sacrificed to allow drilling.
This would be the method I would use without relying on connector pins for support.
Core market a kit full of M2.5 spacers and screws which can be joined to lengthen if not long enough, very useful. Search “M2.5” in the search block on their web site.
Cheers Bob

3 Likes

Hi Ben
Short flexible cable maybe.
Only needs to be pluggable one end to facilitate removal to make changes etc.
Be aware these Core perf boards are double sided and any track cutting has to be done both sides.
If you are using the hole only (SKU CE08044) of course you don’t have to worry about that. I have not used these yet but it looks like they have little pads between the holes to make bridging easier so with gold plating I imagine some care has to be taken to prevent unwanted bridges. These boards look interesting as it can be a pain cutting both sides particularly if the cut needs to be under a component already fitted. Must order some.
Cheers Bob
Check out Core stock of stackable headers. They are female headers with long pins. The pins should be long enough to fit to your proto board while in the elevated mounting position. That is not snug down onto the board. fit the header to the relay board then solder the pins while the proto board is in position using spacers. Then the proto board will be pluggable.

2 Likes

Hi Ben,

Sounds like a neat project!

Bob briefly mentioned this already but the pins that you were hovering over are all shorted so you might run into some interesting results!
I’d check out the individual tie point board, a bit more soldering but far more customisable: Makerverse Perfboard 1160 Tie Points | Core Electronics Australia

These stacking headers will almost get you there, combined with a female header it should work: Stackable Header Pins 2.54mm (1x20) | Core Electronics Australia

If you’re game to try at desoldering you could invert the pins, just note that off the shelf modules like this probably arent designed to be desoldered and the pads might lift or rip off!

PS: There was a topic a while back regarding using a wireless devboard on protoboards, in short to maximise the chances of the devboard working the antenna should be as far away from metal as possible

Liam

1 Like

Ah yes, I had forgotten about those, didn’t have any in my bits bin, used on another project I had forgotten about. Better than my original suggestion.
Cheers
Jim

1 Like

Hi Jim,

If desoldered I think some of the extra long male headers and 2x female headers will give a cleaner look due to the middle bit being covered - at the end of the day they’ll all get the job done.

1 Like

thanks for all the help i ended up using the following extended headers

these are soldered to the underside of the perf board. I will be doing the same for the jd-vcc jumper as well.

and some m2.5 nylon screw fittings.

2 Likes