Stick PC power

Hi, i need to run intel stick PC’s running windows 10 pro into trucks. The 24v will be running into a Pololu 5v step down regulator to run the PC and the PC has been set to auto boot on power when the ignition is on. I also need the PC to shutdown when power is off. Space is a major consideration and i have not been able to find a UPS that will fit the bill. I am thinking of running a powerboost 1000 lipo 5v charger with a lipo battery in between the regulator and the PC, and running software such as Shutter on the PC to shut down when the Battery hit say 95%. The PC requires 5v and up to 3a however that is max draw with both USB ports in use the PC itself apparently only draws up to 1.2a at full CPU usage which won’t be the case.
My questions are. Does anyone know if the PC is able to tell it’s now running on battery and read the voltage? will that setup work? is there a better lipo charger that will also run the PC? am i crazy?

Thankyou

1 Like

Hi John,

You’re not insane! If you’re open to wiring directly to the battery (or whatever terminals always have power regardless of ignition), then you could use a microcontroller, a voltage divider to convert the 24V logic of the ignition switch and send a message over USB to the PC, telling it to shut down. It’ll be pretty involved but you should be able to do it, there are a few threads kicking around of people making their own UPS that may be useful:
https://www.stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?t=194

I’m gonna do some more research into this as I think it’s a super useful idea!
-James

1 Like

Hi James, i’m open to it but the trucks are owned by NSW Fire and not sure how they’d feel about it :crazy_face:. I need to make a self contained unit that just connects to 24v power.

2 Likes

Hi John

Another option is to use a SBC like a LattePanda Alpha that features a laptop battery connector, here’s a video on using a lattepanda alpha with a battery:

You’d just need to use windows power management to trigger a critical battery shutdown at, say, 95%

As always, keen to see where you go with this!
-James

2 Likes