Using battery module as a UPS

I’m looking at setting up an Omega2 connected to a permanent power supply (probably using a 5V adapter with a 3.3V regulator).

If I use a MP2636 or similar with a LiPo battery in between the power supply and board, will it act almost like a UPS?

I.e. if mains power is cut, will the battery start supplying power to the board without interruption?

And if the board does lose power, I assume a second or so later it will just boot up again as the battery power kicks in?

Are some boards more or less tolerant of fluctuations in power?

Hi Mitch,

Regretfully the answer to your question is maybe.

It’s not exactly what it’s designed for, but it should be able to do it. There’s no clear specifications on voltage recovery time, but there are some simulated transient behaviour graphs available in the datasheet for the MP2636:

You could help it out by sticking a nice fat capacitor on the output side.

Brown out behaviour on most boards isn’t well defined, so it’s probably better for it to completely lose power and reboot than it is to partially shutdown.

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics

Thanks for the reply Oliver, that makes sense.

A 500uF cap would work do you think?

1 Like

Hi Mitch,

No worries. Without doing any calculations; yes it should probably do the job. Just note that a capacitor resists change to voltage, which includes increases in voltage. if you go too big the voltage will be slow to rise on power on, which could cause other issues.

Regards,
Oliver
Support | Core Electronics

1 Like