Suitable Battery Setup

Hi

I want to run an Arduino Nano, a 5/6V solenoid and this quad alphanumeric display ( ADA1911, on very low light) off a battery pack where I can replace the batteries. My thoughts are 4 AA batteries in a battery holder. Are there any limitations I’m not thinking of? It is something that’ll be used where common AA’s will be utilized.

Thanks for the help.

Hey Jake,

The problem is that the logic of the Arduino won’t supply enough current, or voltage to be able to drive your solenoid. You’ve got a few options for what you can use to control it, but a dual H bridge such as a L298 is usually the best way to go and can also regulate your power supply down to 5V for any other breakout boards.

Bryce
Core Electronics | Support

If I use a transistor for switching power from the battery to the solenoid that would also work?

Hey Jake,

Yes, as long as the ratings are high enough to match the voltage and current requirements.

Bryce

Looking at this one:

With a 4 AA battery pack to do it all.

Hey Jake,

Yes, if your transistor can handle 5V at 1.1A you should be good to go, make sure to overcompensate a little so that if there are shorts you don’t have any issues.

Bryce

Awesome thanks for the help. Now off to get work to buy the parts :wink:

1 Like

Hey Jake,

Sounds like a plan, have a great day!

Bryce