Talking textiles and woven speakers

Hi, I’m an artist/ teacher and I have been exploring making my textiles talk (text and textiles, spinning a yarn etc.). So far I have made a series of 12 artworks with conductive thread and bare conductive paint and have programmed a Bare Conductive PiCap with a Pi3 model B to trigger aural stories when touched. I have also been weaving my own copper speakers too (with the aid of a simple 9V 0.5W Mono Audio Amplifier). The problem is that only one person can interact with the 12 artworks at once as I have only managed to use one sound output. The Bare PiCap has its own output as does the Pi- is it possible to add other sound outputs via USB? Is this easy to program? ie- touch input to sensor 1-3 triggers audio output A, touch input to sensors 4-6 triggers audio outputB etc.
I want to set this up for a gallery and wondering if several GemmaM0s could perform a similar function ? How much audio can they store?
The aim is to have several people interacting with the different works at once, the woven speakers are quite small and require the audience to get close to the artworks so there isn’t really a need for headphones. Link here: HOW TO GET WHAT YOU WANT

I’m pretty new to this but have managed to successfully fudge my way through so far! Thanks Hayley

1 Like

Well that is different. Had a look at that link and it seems you are effectively winding your own voice coil into the fabric. I wondered about the magnet (a requirement) until I looked at the link. One thing puzzles me, what is the conductive paint for. I thought if anything it would kill the coil inductance which is required if you are going to make the fabric move.
I am sure some Pi gurus (not me) will come up with a method to achieve your goal.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

The bare conductive paint and conductive thread are sewn and painted onto textile wall hangings and then linked to a PiCap. Touching them triggers stories and sounds. Rather than using a pre-made speaker for audio output I decided to coil my own speakers using copper and magnets. Essentially they are 2 seperate works- but one makes the other possible.
I just need to work out a way to program the Pi for multiple audio output and then link them to my speakers. Hopefully some Pi experts might know. Thanks

1 Like

Hi Hayley,

Very sorry that we didn’t get back to you sooner.

Those speakers look awesome!
I had a look into using different boards to be able to get multiple channels of audio from the Pi 3 and came back empty-handed.

I did some research into a capacative touch breakout and came across this gem which can drive a WAV trigger (there are a few versions with 3.5mm unamplified stereo output and some the you can wire directly into a speaker).
They are also really easy to use, check out Adafruits tutorial for more details!

The GemmaM0’s would be good in theory as an intermediary since they handle capacitive touch inputs but their weak point is audio playback, this board has 10-bit audio so might not be the clearest for voice recordings (most speakers these days are around 16-bits 20kHz+) and not too much onboard storage.

This is just one of many solutions, it might be a bit pricy to get all of them running at once but should be basically plug and play.

Once again very sorry for the delay Hayley,
Liam.