The Things Network V3 - migrating uGateway

There is now an imperative to migrate to TTN v3. I have done this successfully with a Sentrius gateway.

I have a uGateway that works well on TTN v2. I have tried adding it to TTN v3

Gateway EUI - entered
Server address is “au1.cloud.thethings.network”
Frequency plan is “Australia 915-928 MHz FSB 2 (used by TTN)”

It is showing as disconnected. Not sure what to do next. I note this in the documentation -
Some gateways require an API Key with Link Gateway Rights to be able to connect to The Things Stack

Has anyone else done this yet?

4 Likes

Hey Andrew,

I’m not across running a gateway but I hope this can help :slight_smile:
Did you have this one here? https://core-electronics.com.au/ugateway-for-lorawan-ttn.html

I would have a look at this article for some pointers but couldnt find anything specific to that chip(the RAK831): Adding Gateways | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN

1 Like

yes that’s the gateway. The documentation shows the following hints (is this a UDP?)

My gateway won’t connect. What do I do?

Check the following in The Things Stack console:

• Does the Gateway EUI in the console match with the EUI of the gateway?
  • Does the Frequency Plan selected match with the configuration in the gateway? Refer to the Frequency Plans section for plans that are officially supported by The Things Stack
  • Did you select Require authenticated connection in gateway settings? This prevents UDP gateways from working (and for gateways connected with Basic Station or MQTT, this prevents unauthenticated connections)
  • Do you see any warnings/errors in the Gateway live data section?
2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

We’re yet to find a migration pathway for the hardware used on uGateway. We’ll keep our eyes peeled though

4 Likes

Hi @Graham, did you find a pathway for migrating to TTNv3? On some of our other gateways all we’ve had to do has been point a URL to https://au1.cloud.thethings.network/, but I can’t find an option anywhere in the Raspberry Pi’s file system.

3 Likes

No V3 support sorry. Sadly, RAKWireless is no longer recommending the RAK831 and is moving towards the RAK2245 instead. Given there are only around 2 RA831 public gateways still in operation, we won’t have the commercial oomph to support it officially.

uGateway is open source, PRs are welcome if someone does find a way to maintain them on TTN V3.

4 Likes