Tower Crane; the next step

G’day Jeff. We are satisfied with the way the slew works now. Did you have any success with your investigations regarding the weight trolley problem?

2 Likes

If you know the weight on the hook (and I assume that you also know the weight of the counterweight) then the calculation is as indicated above:
Hook weight * Hook Distance = Counterweight Weight * Counterweight distance.

That can be solved for any Hook Distance. If the hook and counterweight distances are known at the balance point when the hook weight is zero then what you need to do is to scale the result of that calculation by the number of steps per unit distance for the two steppers (which I assume are not the same). I expect you are using an endless belt for both hook and counterweight trolleys, so you will have a constant number of steps per unit distance. If you scale the speed of the movement by the inverse ratio of the number of steps for each, the two movements will reach the destination point at the same time, and be in balance the whole way.

2 Likes

Perfect. Great information. thanks for that. Stay tuned. We are going to test a couple of 42BY geared motors with encoders and a sabretooth 2x12 plus hall effect sensors for end stops. I’ll let you know how it all goes.

3 Likes