Hi, I need to identify when an object passes over a point on the other side of a 10mm thick steel plate. I know that RFID struggles to penetrate through steel; however, I do have the ability to drill a hole directly below the line that the RFID tag passes over (see attached sketch).
- Has anyone dealt with a similar use case and resolved the issue using either UHF RFID tags or an alternative?
- Does any one know what size hole would be required to allow the RFID reader to adequately transmit and receive a signal?
- Is there a particular technology that I should focus my attention on outside of RFID?
- Tags are to be passive
- Tags need to have a max width/diameter of 5mm
- Transmitter/Receiver needs to be able to be supported by battery power
NOTE: I am a beginner in this space and hoping to gain some direction to reduce the time to develop a solution. Open to thoughts and suggestions.