USBasp USBISP 3.3V/5V AVR Programmer SKU: 018-USB-AVR-ISP

Just purchased one of these AVR programmers and it keeps coming back with the following error when I attempt to flash an updated bootloader onto the Arduino Nano clone. NB: the Nano clone is 100% working as I can program the NANO itself directly from the Arduino IDE.

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9516 (probably m328pb)
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F

The Nano clone according to commandline avrdude is an ATmega328PB.

Have installed libusbK (v3.1.0.0) as per the product web page and the USPasp Programmer correctly appears as a USBasp device in Windows 10.

1 Like

The 328P and 328PB have some differences, described here. At 3.3 and 3.5 there are timing differences, which might be relevant. There is some discussion of the problem here which suggests that the automatic fallback for the clock source can create a problem if there is an issue with the crystal. Also, check that you are using the latest core as this supports the 328PB as a variant.

2 Likes

Thanks will do some more research.

I think Jeff may be onto it, let us know if Jeff’s suggestion doesn’t the programmer running properly and we can look into this further.

Added MiniCore board support and I can now update the bootloader! Thanks.

What Arduino IDE(avrdude) output says is the USBasp firmware needs to be updated.

2 Likes