Using LCD Shield for Arduino with WeMos D1 R2

Is there any problem with using the LCD Shield for Arduino (SKU: DFR0009) with a WeMos D1 R2? When I have the Shield connected on top of the WeMos D1 R2 I get a memory error when I try to load the Sketch. The Sketch loads okay when the LCD Shield is unplugged.

Hi Peter,
Could you post the whole contents of the error, along with the sketch?

Sam,

I have more or less resolved the problem. I put the LCD Shield onto a prototype board and used patch leads to connect to the WeMos D1 R2. This worked fine after I put three forward biased diodes between the AD0 Output of the LCD Shield and the A0 input on the WeMos D1 R2 to ensure the max voltage does not exceed 3.2 volts. The LCD Display and the buttons worked fine. I believe the problem is one or more pins on the LCD Shield, which are not used, is loading the WeMos D1 R2 causing it to stop working resulting in a Memory load error. I have yet to work out which are the problem pins, but will let you know when I do.

Cheers

2 Likes

Sam,

Further to the email below, after some testing, I found that D8 (D10 according to the LCD Shield Schematic), on the LCD Shield had 3.4 Volts on it. When connecting this to D8 on the WeMos D1 R2, it caused the card to stop functioning. Therefore the LCD Shield for Arduino is not directly compatible with the WeMos D1 R2. I guess you could cut the pin off the LCD Shield as I have not seen any function for that pin on the LCD Shield.

Cheers

Peter Stewart

Hi Peter,
Indeed, sounds like you nailed the troubleshooting. It can often help to write up the issue as a sound board, and you often end up solving your own problem. Unfortunately, I can’t comment on the WeMos board as it’s not something we stock, but it could be worth double checking any compatibility issue before using other gear with it. But I’m glad to hear you got it up and running.