Waveshare RP2040-Zero Dev Board (16 MB) (WS-25506)

This is a placeholder topic for “Waveshare RP2040-Zero Dev Board (16 MB)” comments.

Waveshare RP2040-PiZero Development Board, Based On The Raspberry Pi RP2040 Dual-core Processor, 264KB SRAM and 16MB onboard Flash memory, compatible with…

Read more

2 Likes

This looks very similar to a RPi Zero. Is there a Linux/Unix distribution for these boards?

1 Like

Hi Stephen,

This is a bit of a confusing product, as it’s shaped like a Pi Zero, but has an RP2040 on it, the same microcontroller featured on the Pi Pico. Microcontrollers lack the MMU needed to run linux well, those are present on Microprocessors.

If you have an application or project in mind, tell us about it and we can talk more about MCUs vs MPUs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting little board.
Waveshare web page shows C++, Micropython and Arduino IDE’s.
Pi Zero interface means it could be used with al the Zero hats; and with all the interfaces already on the board, pretty good. Have to keep this one in mind. Cheap enough with 16MB memory.
Probably easier to develop something than a Pi Zero.

Anyway, like it.
Cheers
Jim

2 Likes

Would this be able to run what the pi zero runs and with the jst header will that allow me to run a battery and be able to charge it in the same way I would with a ups hat ?

1 Like

Hi Mark!

This board is a bit misleading in that it features a microcontroller instead of a full CPU like the Pi Zero.

In short it wont run what a Pi Zero does and will need some modifications at least or the RP2040 (microcontroller) simply might not be up to the task - What kind of tasks were you looking for the board to do? With some more insights we might be able to recommend a different set of hardware.

Yeah the JST connector lets you run the battery much like a UPS would, with the USB-C as a possible way to charge it.

Liam

1 Like

im looking to build a pwnagotchi which runs on rasbian lite

ideally im looking for something that can run said OS as well as have the jst for power (i know its wishful thinking) but a u.fl connector for an external wifi antenna

Hey Mark!

Ambitious project you have there. Unfortunately pwnagotchi has a fairly limited list of supported devices at the moment that only includes the Raspberry Pi 0 W and possibly the Raspberry Pi 3 and 4.

Running Raspbian Lite on a microcontroller like this is not really what it is designed for so one of the proper raspberry pi boards is going to be your best option.

As for adding a u.fl connector none of these board support this but it does seem possible to add one with some pretty intense modifications.

Ultimately running pwnagotchi on the recommended hardware (which can be found here) is probably your best bet for the time being.

Sam

2 Likes

As far as adding the u.fl connector goes do you know of anyone that could do the job in Newcastle (I don’t have the gear for that task)

1 Like

Hi Mark,

There’s a few Makerspaces around but the 0201 resistor would be very tough to resolder!
There’s a FabLab in Swansea that might be able to help.

PS: Externa wifi antenna for pi zero - #2 by Liam120347

from what i understand that resistor only acts as a jumper but correct me if im wrong

thanks for the lead too