Which ESP32 LoRa board to buy

Howdy,

I’m currently on the hunt for a couple of ESP32 LoRa boards, but the abundance of options has left me feeling a bit overwhelmed. While I’m not solely focused on finding the cheapest option, I am prioritizing reliability, durability, and thorough documentation (especially pin-outs). I’m steering clear of clones or anything of subpar quality. I’ve heard rave reviews about the HelTec V3 boards, but unfortunately, they seem to be quite elusive in Australia (and not available on CORE). I’ve spotted a few listings on eBay, but they’re all from sellers with either no or low ratings, which I don’t trust.

These boards will be tasked with powering a weather station located 100 meters away from my house. One will serve as a transmitter, while the other will act as a receiver (gateway?) connecting via WiFi to LAN.

I’d greatly appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Thanks a bunch for your assistance!

Luke, Melbourne

There’s quite a bit of stuff on Amazon with a lot of user ratings, and you can sort your search results by rating… although Amazon tends to be anywhere from a bit to a lot more spendy.

Another alternative is adding LoRa modules to your favourite ESP32 boards via a UART interface or whatever…

OTOH, AliExpress has your HelTec V3 boards: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005443005152.html

1 Like

Hi Kimmo,

Thanks for that recommendation!
I just ordered 4 of them.
Cheers,

Luke