Wider Breadboards

Hi Guys.

Why can’t I seem to find a breadboard that will take an ESP-WROOM32 and allow access to at least one row of pins on either side?

I really need on with 6 rows each side.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Alan

2 Likes

Hi @Alan37799

Ive been loving these mini modular bread boards that connect up.

You can see in the photos there are little notches on the side and matching receivers on the other side.

You can string together three like this and I bet the wroom32 will slot right in. I put in ruler for scale so you can measure it. :smile:

Pix :heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

Thanks, Pixmusix.

I have a few of these already. Sadly, when joined they don’t provide electrical connectivity between the boards, so you just end up adding a heap of jumper wires to link each together.

Cheers!

2 Likes

The type that has power strip down the side works really well for the wider modules when they are doubled up.

The type with a power strip on each side is used for the widest modules (12-row), but if they are one row smaller you need the type with a power strip on one side only. Best of all are the ones where the power strip is a separate piece - that gives maximum flexibilty.

6 Likes

Good advice from the forum regulars here

The only thing I’d like to add is that cheap breadboards often exhibit ‘cupping’, similar to a warped plank of timber.

(wiki)

This effect is more noticeable/disruptive when joining breadboards side by side.

If you find this happens and find it annoying or that it compromises the project - we have brought on these lovely, high-quality 400 and 830 tie-point breadboards from BusBoard systems. I feel like my breadboading expectations have been spoiled by how good these are.

3 Likes

Hi Michael
I have one of the 400 point boards which seems pretty much the same except the plastic is clear instead of white. It seems to hold its contact integrity very well after insertion (many times) of the larger header strip pins. A lot of lesser quality boards are useless for “normal” components once header pins have been used.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

The Sparkfun “Thing” WROOMs are narrower than most. They fit into common breadboards.

Alternatively, solder some 0.1" female headers into some protoboard. Or use swiss pins, those are nice too.

2 Likes

Hi Alan
I don’t think you will get one with 6 pins either side. All the ones I have seen have 5.

I have an old “Wish” board that has the usual power lines each long side but the columns of 5 connected pins are turned 90º so I finish up with the strips of 5 pins parallel to the power strips. So if you are looking at the board with the power strips top and bottom I have 8 columns of 5 X 20 pins. Arranged to have 7 separating areas between each column instead of one long one down the centre.

There are hundreds around, here is one
https://au.element14.com/multicomp/mcbb3060/bread-board-abs-235mm-x-207mm/dp/2764645?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAkp6tBhB5EiwANTCx1FNFEGyTAqUGx4pjtz0Gi9wxAhT4H3A-aTXlzrIgOUfuZnuVrOslwhoCB9wQAvD_BwE&mckv=_dc|pcrid||pkw||pmt||slid||product|2764645|pgrid||ptaid||&CMP=KNC-GAU-GEN-SHOPPING-PLA-PMAX

Google “wish breadboard”, I got 1.13million hits.
Cheers Bob
By the way, purchasing quality pays. Mine would have to be at least 25 years old and still quite OK

3 Likes

You have caused me to calculate. My 'Wish" (No. 208) was purchased in 1975! It is still working perfectly and has apparently increased in value, even without the screw terminals. The long life might be in part because it is used with jumpers cut from a large reel of Telecom internal phone hookup wire and not Dupont connectors. Dupont connectors were not available in 1974, at least not over the counter.

The much newer boards in the image above appear to be identical but AFAICT the moldings are not labelled with a manufacturer.

1 Like

Hi Jeff
Mine is a Wish 502-L. Yours is way bigger and has an entirely different layout. Your model is still available on E-Bay I note for something like AU$260 odd. Probably a collectors item but I always stress it pays mostly to purchase a bit of quality.

1975 … Mine might be older than 25 years then. I really forget now. I think I got from Farnell (now Element 14) if so it is probably closer to 35+ years old. Would you believe they are still available but Element 14 list a few that are no longer stocked.
Cheers Bob
Add on: That one I linked above from Element 14 is pretty close to your Wish 208 in layout and I think Muticomp ate not bad quality or Element 14 probably would not stock…

You already have got many options. You can also make a solderable breadboard. Here is a design of a solderable breadboard. It’s DIP-compatible PCB for prototyping. It fits Arduino Nano, ESP8266, and NodeMCU.

1 Like