Breadboard to fit a generic ESP32 module?

Greetings,

I recently acquired a generic-brand ESP32 development module to ensure my Adafruit ESP32 Featherboard doesn’t get fried from any wrong polarity batteries (trust me, my last ESP8266 board died due to that…)

Here’s the problem. What I have here (see the attached image) is an extended breadboard and the standard breadboard that comes with those “get started” kits - or what I call the “El cheapo” breadboard. On the bottom, you can see the Adafruit HUZZAH32 board sitting in column B to H, while I have column A free for accessing the pins on that side, as well as columns I and J.

On the other breadboard (towards the top of the image) I have the generic ESP32 module - I have this plugged into column A and it goes all the way up to I, leaving only column J accessible - I cannot access the pins on the column A side.

So yeah, there’s my problem. I’d love to use the generic ESP32 module but I run out of columns on the breadboard real fast. The ESP32 module itself is 5.5cm x ~2.5cm. Is there any “wider” breadboards that give extra columns for pins but aren’t super mega large and won’t fit on a desk?

Please ignore the messy wiring - I currently have the extended breadboard setup for a prototype.

That’s just annoying isn’t it Matthew? I can’t see a breadboard wide enough for that module. The only thing I can think of is straddling two breadboads. I’ve used a pair of the 170-point breadboards in the pasts. It’s another reason to love the Adafruit Feather HUZZAH with ESP8266 WiFi, it’s just so small!
IMG_2057
Hope that helps,

• Chris
2 Likes

Thanks Chris, unfortunately 17 pin columns isn’t going to be enough! My generic ESP32 board has about 19 pins each side (i call it the ‘deluxe’ model). If only there was a “wider” breadboard…

I guess I’ll keep using my Huzzah32 for now. Looking at my board’s dimensions it seems similar in size as the DFRobot ones available on the store front. Do those fit in breadboards?

The breadboards I’ve used in the pic have 30 rows. There’s also an 83 row option. That’s huuuuge!

• Chris

I currently use the 63 row one as seen in the photo in the first post above. I do have a spare 300 tie point breadboard that I have in my box of electronic parts which might work.

One thing I didn’t notice is the fact you can remove the positive and negative rails on either side… Now we’re getting somewhere! This might be the answer to my problem. Just need one more small breadboard, break off it’s power rails and I think we’re set.

1 Like

This is gold. Possibly the best post on a forum ever about anything :> ! I was about to ebay me a custom board but this post saved me from myself :slight_smile: I knew I bought these little breadboards for a reason!

2 Likes