Wireless charging into a charger

Afternoon Core-electronics

Are you able to clarify if this wireless charger,

wirelessly charge a Nitroe SC4 charger
DC 12V 3A

Thanks Robbie

Hi Robert,

Assuming you mean the Nitecore SC4, I’d say you’d be able to, just keep in mind that inductive charging is less efficient than a cable, about 86% at best, usually about 75 for small devices like this, leaving the remaining 14% (or at least ~5W) to be dissipated as heat, so make sure it doesn’t get too hot while in use.

All the best with your project though, let us know how it goes!

Am i right in saying if i connect the wireless receiver to the Nitecore sc4 DC point, it should work? Efficiency isn’t that important?

If i also increase the transmitter coil to 200W, will that effect the receiver at all?

Cheers Robbie

Hi Robert,

It should work as is, but keep in mind that going for a bigger transmission coil will likely have unintended effects, I’d recommend leaving it as is.


Hey Robert,

I wouldnt expect this system to work at 200W, the capacitors alone are rated for 63 V.
Sounds like an interesting project, why are you hooking up the charger module to a wireless transmitter module?

1 Like

Hi Liam

Basically i don’t want to spend $1500 for someone to custom make a PCB board for a wireless charger on a drone, @ the initial prototype stage.
Unless you know know someone who is cheaper.

Cheers robbie

if the transmitter is 24V, what is its voltage?

Hey Robert,

Definitely dont rule out trying to make one yourself!! KiCAD is a great open source PCB design software that’s super accessible, and with a lot of reference circuits online you could design your own.

The documentation isn’t great for the transmitter module but it looks like the output voltage is 12V (volts) DC (a flat offset voltage) and leaves the modules actual input voltage a bit vague, doing some experimentation or getting in touch with the manufacturer would probably be best to find some more deets.
The two modules act like a one way transformer and will have some upper bound on the amount of power you can transmit (relates to magnetism and how it falls off based on the distance from the coil).

I’m going to go out on a bit of a limb where you are headed, when it comes to charging a battery, slower is usually better, 200W is a LOT of power and even if you have 95% efficiency a lot of that will be lost to heat (and get ridiculously hot fast).
LiPo’s are also extremely dangerous and the proper precautions should be taken when using them, here’s an guide that covers quite a bit: A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries — Roger's Hobby Center


1 Like

Hi Liam, Robert

Don’t know what you are referring to here bur the voltage fed to the TX coil MUST BE AC. I haven’t heard of anyone inventing a DC transformer yet but I have been wrong before.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hey Bob,

I can certainly agree on the coils needing AC to work, I think the modules themselves can be given DC though, that’s where the documentation falls out.
I found this hook-up guide using a variation of one of the modules and it seems like it’s DC but without testing cant confirm.

1 Like

Hi Liam.
Interesting little hook up. Yes the input and output of the system as a whole is DC. But the actual coils will be AC.

Actually the mind boggles a bit. Why would you go to all that trouble to provide 5V to Arduino and servo motor when the 5V is there anyway. Surely must be just a demo to illustrate the operation of these things.

I can understand a bit about charging a phone to save wear and tear on the little connector. Especially these days with data use having to charge every day. But for the life of me I can’t see any other practical use for such a thing. Maybe my imagination needs invigorating.
Cheers Bob


Hey Bob,

Yeah super interesting little modules. Might be cool paired with some 3D printed parts for artworks etc. something that can spin endlessly, instead of using a slip ring.

Surely the use case is niche. I feel like swapping a battery or using a quick connector like the ones used on the food buzzers at shops would get most makers out of trouble 95% of the time. I’d be keen to see what has been done with them!

1 Like