3d printer problems

Hi
I have a 3d printer. Did not use it for a month but then over the last week used it again.
I did a few 3d prints and late yesterday I started another print but then 2% into print it just stopped.
I tuned it off waited for about 30min then tried the same print again and again it stopped.
This morning I tried another print which was successfully done a few days ago and 2% in that stopped. I looked on internet as I am still learning about 3d printers to see any suggestions.
One said it could be the fan, might need a second one. While I am still learning any suggestions would be great.

1 Like

Additional information that would be helpful includes brand and model of printer. Also, are these prints being done using USB from the PC or straight from the SD card in the printer? Is the printer responsive at all when it stops, or is the only option to turn it off? What monitoring is available (eg printer LCD screen or ‘Monitor’ option in the slicer) and what does it report?

1 Like

Hi.
Its Creality cr10s pro. I have only done them via sd card. The printer is non responsive when it stop. I think I did try working with lcd on printer but I manage to enter the adjust screen and that was it. I think that also froze. The only option I had was to turn it of. I was able to manually raise up the head.
I only use the slice to change the prints to gcode. I have only once connect pc to printer via usb port. I dont know how to use slicer in the way you are talking about. I am still learning about 3d printers. If you can run me through that process that would be good. I am computer liberated.

1 Like

The technique for printing via USB will depend on which slicer you are using, but if the LCD is not functioning then there might not be any additional information through the monitor function of the slicer. However, if printing via USB works then that isolates the problem to the SD card, so it is worth a try.

What does the LCD say about the printer status when it stops, particularly temperatures? Also, is any additional information provided on the LCD when you restart after a stop (your printer has a restart facility, so it is capable of recording why it stopped)?

Your printer has a filament sensor. These devices are sensitive and can cause a print to stop. You should check the filament path then test the sensor manually and ensure it is not giving a false reading.

1 Like

Hi Ronaldo,

To get some readings back from the printer I would connect it to the USB port on your computer and use a program called Pronterface to let you see what it’s doing.

Reflashing the firmware could be an option as well! This step has a couple forks in the road based on the mainboard you are using.

Let me know how you go!
Liam.

Hi All
I did not know that the printer has a filament sensor? I will do another print while running pronterface and slicer and see what happens. I thought the printer might require an update but did not know how to do this.
The lcd does not give much info at all what I have noticed. Which is disappointing. What are the forks in the road for the mainboard you are talking about?

1 Like

Hi
Thanks for the help firstly. Connect pronterface and there is sd card issues. It came up on pronterface.

1 Like

Hi Ronaldo,

Does it mention which error is showing up?

The fastest and easiest way to get up and running again would either be to purchase a new mainboard from Creality or setup Gcode injection directly from a computer (Octoprint is a really elegant solution that can run on Pi 3B+ and above).

Liam

Can you print via USB from the slicer? If so, then reformat the SD card.

Hi.
The error that came up on pronterface was sd card error. I will have to reformat it and see if it works.
I have not heard from octoprint. I have not tried to print from computer yet as I read that you cant allow computer to go into sleep mode and as prints can go for several hours make it hard. Is it better to print straight from slicer via USB?

In this case it might be. If the problem is the SD card then you may be able to confirm that by printing OK from USB. Also, depending on your slicer, you might get better diagnostic information if you print via USB. For your testing purposes, choose a model that will take only a short time to print.

Hi
Thanks for the information. I will try via USB and see how that goes. Do you know how these machine can get updates? Not sure if they can get updates.

1 Like

Hi Rolando,

For what it’s worth, I’ve had problems with my Ender 3 V2 where it’ll freeze up when you try to select a print, and it’ll keep doing it until you reformat the card and copy the .gcode over again.

If formatting the card doesn’t work I’d try a different slicer or maybe a firmware update.

Keen to see this resolved so you can get back to printing!
-James

There is a procedure for updating the firmware. It involves downloading a prepared binary file from the Creality site and then loading it into the machine from the SD card. You can also download and modify the source to create your own binary file.

I would not recommend making any changes to your printer while you do not know what the problem is - you could make things worse.

1 Like

Hi
Sorry I have not replied to last message. I have had long days. I have solved that problem with the sd card reformatted it that works fine but then ran into another. But I am learning from all of this. For some reason my g28 zo code is forbidden. I am trying to level out head but it goes down to the bed and squashes it. the bltouch is not coming down either before hand but the light for it is flashing.

Hi Rolando,

Just to confirm, can you check which version of firmware your printer is running? I recall that BLTouch compatibility was a recent addition to the stock Creality firmware. I haven’t seen your particular issue so sorry I’m not offering more direct fixes.

-James

Hi
How would I know which version I am running.

Hi
I think I just found the firmware version. 1.70.0 BL. If possible can you tell me anything about that.

Hi Rolando,

Its quite hard to tell which version of the firmware is currently on the printer from memory. You can always update the firmware using the method that Jeff provided. What parts in particular were you seeking advice for in that particular version? the main difference is that rather than using the Z-stop it is replaced with the BL-touch.

PS: Awesome conversation happening! Jeff, James and Liam, very good advise!!

Liam.

1 Like

Hi
How would you control the bltouch as it seems like its the problem. The head of printer hits the bed and I have to switch it off so it does not break the bed.