Adafruit audio fx mini sound board volume control

I have read that volume is controlled by momentary switches + & - but it doesn’t store the volume setting and says each restart needs volume needs to be set.

Is there a coding solution that will allow volumes to be set and will hold the setting until the volume buttons are pressed again? This will be best for users.

2 Likes

Hi Kevin,

The Adafruit audio fx boards are designed to be programming-free for end users so as a result there are some limitations on how they can be set up.

There is no programming solution that I know of as the board doesn’t have a programming interface, it just does whatever the flashed firmware image tells it to do.

The tutorial indicates the volume setting is saved in volatile memory so power cycling the device will clear the variable holding the volume setting. You’re only real option is to not power down the device.

2 Likes

thanks for the prompt reply

Hi Trent

I just wanted to confirm before making an order, will a

GRAVITY: DIGITAL SPEAKER MODULE

work with the Adafruit audio fx boards, as I need user volume control, and the Adafruit audio fx boards2x2W doesn’t store volume on power down, I can get away with this as the speaker and amplifier and a small screw driver adjustment and using the

Adafruit Audio FX Mini Sound Board - WAV/OGG Trigger - 2MB Flash SKU: ADA2342.

Thanks for the assistance

Kev

Hi Kevin,

The Gravity modules have their own protocols that work with other Gravity products so that speaker won’t be able to work when connected straight into the analog output of the FX board.
If you wanted to be able to connect a speaker there is a version of the FX board with a built in amplifier.

Hi Trent

As I mentioned I am really after being able to set a volume. Seeing it is a digital low signal on the + or - to adjust the volume, is it possible to code in the setting.
Example: Is it possible to get rid of the + and - buttons and use a potentiometer with set values relating to volume pulses and set on start up automatically or when adjusted by the user?

2 Likes

Hi Kevin,

It’d be quite difficult to do so, because as Trent said earlier, you send the volume control over UART every single time it power cycles (i.e. via a serial connection at 9600-Baud) you can throw an Arduino or similar microcontroller which would be fairly cheap such as a Pro Micro or a Pi Pico which has analog input capabilities, read a value from a pot, and then send the appropriate commands over UART to the trigger repeatedly to set it to the appropriate volume, although this does seem quite tedious to set up:

Personally, I’d just grab a trigger like this that incorporates this functionality into the board:

Please let us know if you have any further questions, or if anyone else has suggestions for the best option here.

2 Likes