Advice on thinest ribbon wire on market?

Hi there.

I’m making some temperature sensor nodes and i need to insert the thermistor cables between two vertically stacked boxes (a beehive) while at the same time creating the smallest gap possible between these boxes. I also need to limit the amount of crush damage created by the weight of the top box on the wire so I’m thinking a truly flat insulated copper wire/strip would be the way to go.

Can anyone advise on the thinest insulated cable available on the market? I was thinking something similar to the ribbon cables used in tablets etc but i have no idea what this stuff is called so can’t really find it.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi Mat,

You’ve got a few different options there. Whilst those ribbon cables would be the way to go, they’re custom-made, and you’re unlikely to get one to suit your purposes. As far as a similar thing goes, the best option would be something like this: https://core-electronics.com.au/40-pin-fpc-extension-board-200mm-cable.html

Otherwise, the only other viable option would be standard ribbon wire like this:

This is a very “out there” suggestion, although if you have access to a laser cutter then you could remove channels of timber easily and precisely (to create routes / channels). Perhaps not ideal for this scenario though.

The closest we get to flat cables would be these Raspberry Pi Camera cables:

You might be able to find other variants elsewhere there by searching “FFC / FPC Jumper Cables”

Thanks for the info everyone. I think those camera cables would be a good option so long add i can easily purchase terminals/connectors for either end. :slight_smile:

I’ll have to do some research .

Cheers!

1 Like

Cheers @Mat45255!

It would be great if you could share a photo or two of the build someday!

1 Like