Arduino nano driver for MacBook pro challenge

Hello Dick here I am having trouble uploading a sketch to an arduino nano using MacBook pro High Siera. I can’t find the USB nano option in the PORT options. I was able to upload just the once but the sketch is not working so tried to upload again to double check but can’t find the PORT option. I understand it is a driver problem and getting the driver to run on the MacBook pro.

1 Like

Hi Dick,

Welcome to the forum! Happy to help, to start with, could you confirm whether you’re using an official Arduino board or a clone?

Hi James, It’s the real thing from Core.

1 Like

Hi Dick
I too use a Mac (Mini) and had a similar problem with the NanoEvery. I found the cloud based IDE automatically detects the connected board at switch on. I used this initially and ever since have been able to use the computer based IDE.
Try this, it may help.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

If it’s a driver problem then it’s likely due to the version of the CH340 chip on the board. The Nano device has two options for processor - ‘ATmega328P’ and ‘ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)’. Try the old boot loader. If the chip is the old C version then that change should fix it, although it is still possible that there might be a problem in getting the correct driver for that version for the Mac.

Thanks how do I use the cloud based IDE?

Hi Dick
It is called Arduino Create. It is web based and runs in a browser window. Put “Arduino Create Agent” into your browser and you will get hits including help and instructions.

Have your Nano plugged in when you open the create agent and it will automatically recognise your board. I found once I did this the computer based IDE also had NanoEvery (my board) on its list and I could upload sketches OK from this IDE without going to the cloud version.
Hope this helps, worked for me.
Cheers Bob

Thanks Bob, I had a go but no luck, see error message

1 Like

Hello Jeff, I have tried those options but no luck. I don’t know much about this arduino world but I think it is a driver issue. I think it’s installed but the computer is not allowing it’s use. If that’s possible??

1 Like

Hi Dick
It has been a while now since I did this.
I think I connected the Arduino to the computer then started the Arduino Create Agent. Then you still have to select the board and port. It looks like you may have not done this. The difference here is your board should be available here where it was not listed on your IDE version.

It is possible I have got it wrong and the connecting sequence is the other way around. You could try this too.

Have you got the latest IDE (1.8.15). I think Arduino blurb says this one lists all boards. I downloaded it yesterday but haven’t looked at it yet.
Cheers Bob
EDIT: Just had a look at the new IDE (1.8.15). The Board Manager lists many boards for installation. Some are installed by default probably what had been previously installed but you have the capability to install any of the listed ones. They are gathered in groups I think by processor type. If the web based version does not work this may be OK.

1 Like

You have indicated that you can’t find the USB nano option in the PORT options - is the device that is listed in the screenshot some other USB device, or is that the one that you believe should work, but won’t?

If the driver is installed the computer will allow it to be used - the computer doesn’t know what devices the IDE can or can’t use, but the IDE will list as an option only those ports it identifies as a serial or UART port. So it is possible that the device driver is installed, the device is being recognised, but it is identified by the OS as something other than a serial UART device, so the IDE doesn’t list it. Or (if that port listed in the screenshot is your device) the IDE does see a serial UART device, but it is actually not usable for communication with the Nano - that could be the case for Bluetooth-incoming-port. You should look in System Report to see if your Nano device is being identified correctly. It should be something like ‘usbserial’.

1 Like

Hi Jeff

I don’t think Dick has any device selected or listed.

I don’t think Dick has done this. he relevant box is empty, still prompting to select.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-port has been selected for the UART device.

1 Like

Hi Jeff

That was in the original post. The last screen shot is the cloud or web based IDE where the box is still prompting to “select board or port”.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hello hello, I think I have made some progress but I don’t think the sketch has bee uploaded. Ahh where is the upload option?

1 Like

Hi Dick
I think it is the right pointing arrow alongside the verify tick button at the top.
Cheers Bob

1 Like

Hello Jeff, yes the USB port options appear by default, I have tried them all! No luck. I sort of understand what you have stated in your reply but do not know how to look in System Report to check for usbserial…

1 Like

Hi Dick
Click on the little apple top left corner, clock “about this Mac”, click on "system report in pop up window (on left down near bottom). When report window appears there is a sidebar, click “USB” which is probably the last item in the first group. A detailed list of all connected USB devices is listed.
Cheers Bob
PS did you find the upload button? Th left arrow near the verify tick.

1 Like

You should be able to find a connected device under the USB heading in System Report | Hardware. I believe you will find it listed as a Bluetooth device. The drivers that need to be installed will list it as a USBSerial device, or possibly as a tty device. Both Bluetooth and serial could appear for the same device. If you can find the device under Bluetooth that might give you a clue to the chip, such as FTDI (FT232), CH340 etc. That will indicate the driver you need, and where to go looking for it. For isntance, if it’s a genuine Arduino it would use the FTDI chip, so you could start here. So my suggestion was that the Bluetooth driver that has been found and installed for that device might give you the clue you need to find the serial UART driver for the same device.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, Dick
Just plugged a Freetronics Eleven board into my Mac Mini and it appears under USB/USB 3.0 bus as Communication Device.

Jeff
Have been using this Mac since about 2016 and up to Big Sur OS and don’t ever recollect having to look for a driver except for my printer which is connected to the 4 port hub on my Wi Fi cum Modem by Ethernet cable. All other USB “things” (including Arduino boards etc) have just worked.
Cheers Bob

1 Like