Argon ONE Raspberry Pi 4 Case (CE06586)

The other option would be to remove the Argon One functionality of monitoring and acting on the power button as it is not a function I need.

Any ideas if this is possible ?

5 Likes

Hi Ross,

While I’m not completely sure, I’d say the Argon uses either a power cycle or shorting pin 3 to GND to wake the Pi from a halt state (one of two ways), and a software script running on the Pi to shut down when the button is pressed while the Pi is running.

I’d need to see a schematic from Argon to say for sure, but I’d say just not installing the script from them should be all you need. You’ll just find that the power button on the Argon triggers the same things as the button on your other HAT

-James

4 Likes

I just received the v2 case. The bottom doesn’t fit properly in the area near the HDMI connectors. That is, it doesn’t sit down snugly with the top half. I removed the Pi and established that with the daughter board removed, it sits properly. With the daughter board inserted with no Pi, it does not.

After squinting at it, it seems to be that the HDMI connectors have two plastic positioning lugs and one of them is interfering with the circle around the hole for the bolt that goes through the base. I know that isn’t the greatest description but if you’ve had the issue you would know. I’d like to get confirmation that this is the issue and the best way to fix it.

I’m a bit surprised that it doesn’t fit together properly.

1 Like

Hi Aplus,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with the case preventing it from fitting properly.
Are you able to take a photo and post it here so we can see how the positioning lugs are interfering with the case screws?
If it looks like there is a defect with the case we can get you sorted out with an RMA but we’ll try to identify what’s gone wrong with your case first.

1 Like

Hi Trent,
So in the process of taking photos and trying to show how the base didn’t fit the problem kindof resolved itself - the lug broke off lol. So now the base fits :slight_smile: I’ll put a couple of photos below for future reference.
Second issue was that the two holes on that side of the case don’t seem to be tapped deep enough for the “long” bolts but I was able to pinch a couple from another project so no worries.
Temps stay pretty cool now :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Aplus,

Good to hear the case now fits and the temperatures your Pi is logging are nice and low :slight_smile:
I’ve just checked another case here for reference and it seems that lug is only used during manufacture to locate the HDMI ports long enough for them to be soldered in place. The wide soldered tabs flanking either side of that connector are what is actually providing the mechanical strength to the ports.
There’s a bit of tolerance in how that daughter board is screwed down so interference with that lug isn’t all that rare, but there is no real consequence to removing it so the board is easier to mount inside the case.

3 Likes

Hi Trent, thanks for confirming, I thought that might be the case re. strength on the connectors. All is well :+1:

2 Likes

Hi… I’ve lost the screws that hold the base plate on… do you happen to know the size so I can pick some up from Bunnings?

Thanks…

1 Like

Hi Joshua,

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The 4 screws that hold the baseplate on are M2.5 and 8mm long.

2 Likes

You probably wont find M2.5 in Bunnings, M3 is the smallest they go to in my experience.
These might work, but could be a little short from information from @Trent5487676.

These are a favourite of mine but not at strong as steel screws.

Regards
Jim

2 Likes