Argon1 fan hat ubuntu

i cannot get the fan hat code to work properly on Ubuntu 19.10…the script throws errors as it is made for raspbian …it cannot find the rpi-gpio or something…the fan is spinning out of the box and 2 leds are lit…it did not create a desktop shortcut/icon ,etc,etc

does anybody know what i can do.thx…

Pasting the errors from the script would be very helpful.

Does Ubuntu have a package for the gpio software? Try something like

apt-cache search gpio

and see what it finds. If there isn’t a package, then you’ll need to install the python module using the python installer “pip”.

sudo pip install RPI.GPIO
1 Like

sorry i should have been a little more specific…

it cannot find a package

raspi-gpio

also it seems to not also find an internet connection…
it asks to be connected to the internet …saying there is no network connection…or internet…etc…etc…

in addition .i ran your codes it did install some extra packages…but i ran the install script but it still threw the same errors…

i think the install/er code package needs to be modified it`self …

also it does not reckonise the “pip” command…

i am using ubuntu…so i think the guy`s at argon need to make changes to the installer …i tried to contact them but i just get internet scramble trying to find a place to contact them…

with my limited code know how i have modified the install script…i am making progress but still it throws some errors…also a few packages that are not installed with ubuntu need to be installed…thus far…

i2c-tools
rpi-gpio

keep u posted…

i have made some progress with the fan as far as the switch is concerned i have it operational…very handy for when the system hang`s as it often does since i run the proposed updates with my rpi-4 and Ubuntu 19.10 server image with mate desk to …

still trying to get the switch to cycle the fan speeds i think this is going to be hard as there is so much code involved that i just don’t understand,phase…

i dont know if i can post my modified installer file here or not …still a noob here…

Yes you can post files here. Check the tool bar of the reply box for an upward pointing arrow icon. (That’s what shows on my Android device where I do most of my browsing in this forum.) From memory, there is a limit to how much of the file is actually displayed in the forum, but a link is provided to the complete file for those interested.

As to the packages missing from Ubuntu, you will probably need to manually download the source package from the Raspbian or Debian repositories, and build the package yourself. All packages are stored under the “pool” directory of the repository, then under the a directory with the 1st letter of the package name, and then under a directory with the package name. E.g. rpi-gpio would be under “pool/r/rpi-gpio”.

More information on using source packages here

https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging/SourcePackage

just boost ing this 4 now…i have the fan hat working under Ubuntu at some extent i have the switch on top of the hat able to reboot the rpi-4 or power-off the rpi-4 using Ubuntu…i am yet to make it power up using the switch…nor can i get control of the fan speed nor can i get it to run the gui display that comes with the package i can get access to the "dos mode controls but they have no effect…as soon as i power the rpi-4 with no code loaded the fan runs at 100% i think…the leds indicate that it is running at 50 % but i don’t think they are correct…same as with the code loaded…however Ubuntu defines the rpi-gpio`s differently …i am not very good a python at all nor do i know how to build packages from source…

i might also note that i had to install a lot of extra packages i will list them later…

This fork is working fine for me. Fairly obviously just use the supplied sh file don’t follow the readme.md which says to curl the original (non-ubuntu) one.

1 Like

i used the latest argon1 installer i could not get the gui working but i edited the argon fan in the etc dir and got the switch to either reboot hit it twice quickly or power off by holding it for approx 2 seconds…

the text in the config file was pretty straight forward there are only 4 settings and i have them all working under Ubuntu now… i did install extra packages rpi* all and the i2c-tools rpi-gpio and used the installer the latest version did the rest…one glitch is it wont power on via the switch… i have to see if i can get that to function as yet…if you issue the

poweroff

command it shuts down everything from mem …if you power it off via the switch the fan still runs and the red light is lit …still working on this under Ubuntu but getting there…20.10 image

i will most likely take a note pad to all of this and do a fresh install i have messed with a lot of code in many place`s…

1 Like

ok simply put this is for Ubuntu…
get the argon1.sh.1 file
chmod 755 argon1.sh.1
run ./argon1.sh.1
…make shure you have the net connected …
and the rest can be done via the argon one config file in the /etc dir
edit it and you can play with the values it wont give you the gui but it will give you control over the fan speed…also the switch …um 2 quick steps and it will reboot and one longer step and it will power off… that is all that is required and the internet connection at the time you run the script… that installs all the needed Ubuntu 20.10 packages but not the gui… but at least you can control the fan speeds and the Tripp temperatures… …

using the command lie config setup…i did this…

elect fan mode:

1. Always on
  2. Adjust to temperatures (55C, 60C, and 65C)
  3. Customize behavior
  4. Cancel
    NOTE: You can also edit /etc/argononed.conf directly
    Enter Number (1-4):

Select fan mode:

1. Always on
  2. Adjust to temperatures (55C, 60C, and 65C)
  3. Customize behavior
  4. Cancel
    NOTE: You can also edit /etc/argononed.conf directly
    Enter Number (1-4):3

Please provide fan speeds and temperature pairs

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:35
Provide fan speed for 35C (0-100) then [ENTER]:20

• Fan speed will be set to 20 once temperature reaches 35 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:37
Provide fan speed for 37C (0-100) then [ENTER]:40

• Fan speed will be set to 40 once temperature reaches 37 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:40
Provide fan speed for 40C (0-100) then [ENTER]:70

• Fan speed will be set to 70 once temperature reaches 40 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:42
Provide fan speed for 42C (0-100) then [ENTER]:90

• Fan speed will be set to 90 once temperature reaches 42 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:38
Provide fan speed for 38C (0-100) then [ENTER]:50

• Fan speed will be set to 50 once temperature reaches 38 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:50
Provide fan speed for 50C (0-100) then [ENTER]:100

• Fan speed will be set to 100 once temperature reaches 50 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:55
Provide fan speed for 55C (0-100) then [ENTER]:100

• Fan speed will be set to 100 once temperature reaches 55 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:44
Provide fan speed for 44C (0-100) then [ENTER]:70

• Fan speed will be set to 70 once temperature reaches 44 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:45
Provide fan speed for 45C (0-100) then [ENTER]:100

• Fan speed will be set to 100 once temperature reaches 45 C

Provide minimum temperature (in Celsius) then [ENTER]:

Thank you! We saved 9 pairs.

when your done don’t enter any text and hit enter you nay need to hit enter twice it will save s many as you like not shore of how many you can enter before it is max`ed out… i chose custom mode…my rpi-4 is running at 2.2 gig from the code that i tested with

argon1.sh file i installed it with.