Beetle ESP32 Microcontroller not accepting Adafruit NeoPixel Arduino Library

Hi all,

I’m trying to use an Adafruit Neopixel with my new Beetle ESP32 Microcontroller however I’m getting this error message:

Arduino: 1.8.15 (Windows 10), Board: “FireBeetle-ESP32, 80MHz, 921600”
In file included from C:\Users\Alex’s laptop\Documents\Arduino\Beetle-RGB-LED\Beetle-RGB-LED.ino:2:0:
C:\Users\Alex’s laptop\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_NeoPixel/rp2040_pio.h:9:26: fatal error: hardware/pio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board FireBeetle-ESP32.

I have downloaded the library and it’s installed and all that jaz.

Can I actually use Neopixels with the Beetle or do I need to find another RGB LED?

Kind Regards,
Alex

2 Likes

Hey Alex,

It looks like in the second line you are trying to import a library for the RP2040, a different chip used in the Raspberry Pi Pico. No worries though, the library will still be able to work perfectly fine.
And taking a look through your code it doesn’t look like you reference it either.

PS: here is the repo for the specific library you are using: GitHub - adafruit/Adafruit_NeoPixel: Arduino library for controlling single-wire LED pixels (NeoPixel,

PPS: If you end up grabbing one of the RP2040 based microcontrollers definitely check out the PIO features that Raspberry Pi have pre-made

3 Likes

That worked! Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Alex,

Glad to hear you got it working! I’d be keen to see what you are doing with the project, those Beetles are amazing little boards :smiley:

Liam.