Does Macchina A0 OBD-II Development Module work with a Nissan Leaf?

I recently purchased a Nissan Leaf AZE0 2017, imported from Japan, and have had the Macchina A0 OBD-II Development Module recommended as a remote way to monitor engine charge etc. Can anyone confirm or otherwise that it is compatible with my car? Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

It’s unlikely that Core or even many makers would be able to test the module with that exact car. The operation of the CAN bus is well explored, so its just down to the configuration of the module in software.
It’d be worth taking a read through the documentation on it to get some more pointers.
Note that if you transmit onto the CAN bus you can mess with a few things!

2 Likes

There is no question about whether the pins are in the right place, just whether it does as it should when it is plugged in.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

From the looks of it there is some setup required do intercept the signals, I’m not too sure what you mean by

I found this guide that might be handy in your adventures: Getting Started with OBD-II - SparkFun Learn

Out of the box I don’t think it would, do exactly what you want but with some tinkering you should be able to tap into all of the signals that you want.

2 Likes

Liam120347

…I’m not too sure what you mean by

it does as it should when it is plugged in.

That it will communicate properly with the LeafSpy Pro app. I have no intention of trying to muck around with the internal workings of the module to try to get it to do that.

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately we are unable to confirm that its compatible with your car, its currently out of stock both in our warehouse and with our supplier.

I had a look around the Macchina website and forum, and couldn’t find any mention of the LeafSpy Pro app.
The module is oriented towards developers that are happy to jump into an IDE to get it working.

Liam

2 Likes

The module is oriented towards developers that are happy to jump into an IDE to get it working.

In that case it should be advertised as a kit, rather than finished equipment, as this entire company should be advertised as a hobby club. Thanks for nothing. Any advice given to me has been diminished by the grudging and patronising way in which it has been given.

Edit: sorry, I see that it’s actually described as a Development Module, so I shouldn’t have wasted my time here in the first place. I shall raise this with the person who recommended it.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear you’ve had a bad experience. Most of the parts on the Core website are oriented towards hobby use, from the Rasppbery Pi to Development boards based on the chip inside the module you were looking at (The ESP32, the sibling of this chip, the ESP8266, is found in a huuuuuge range of ‘smart home’ devices).

In the forum unless all of the variables and known AND it has been confirmed working, until both are confirmed any confirmation given has no solid grounds.

Re: the mention of ‘development modules’ it is very jargon-y language and all of the projects mentioned seem to be open-source (usually little money makes its way back to the developers).

Thanks. Please tell me how to delete my account on this website. I couldn’t find a mechanism anywhere under my account information.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

For any account changes, you’d have to contact a moderator, @Liam above or anyone with a shield next to their name should be able to help. (Core is closed at the moment but when they’re in on Monday and usually pretty fast to respond to stuff like this :smiley: )

Thanks, I’ll check it out on Monday.

1 Like